Discuss Waterproof skim finish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikefish

Hi
I'm building a shower cubicle from Marmox boards. The shower is in the eaves, so there are is 1 small section of flat ceiling, then 2 sloping sides. The verticals will be tiled, the slopes & ceiling will not.
How should I finish the ceiling and side slopes? My plasterer says he'd normally use multifinish then paint, but I can't help thinking there must be a better solution than putting a porous finish over a waterproof board.
Any sort of plastic cladding is out.
I was wondering if there's some water resistant skim coat out there, but I can't find anything.
Is it possible to get a decent finish by skimming with white flexible tile adhesive then painting?
Or do you think multifinish will be fine?
Many thanks

M

mikefish

Multi will be fine, only like skimming any other ceiling or wall not being tiled in a bathroom/wetroom.

Many thanks. There may be a fair bit of water splashing over the bottom of the slope where it meets the vertical tiled section. The multifinish on the ceiling or the rest of the bathroom would only see an occasional splash. I was concerned that the plaster might breakdown after a while.

C

charlie1

Hi
I'm building a shower cubicle from Marmox boards. The shower is in the eaves, so there are is 1 small section of flat ceiling, then 2 sloping sides. The verticals will be tiled, the slopes & ceiling will not.
How should I finish the ceiling and side slopes? My plasterer says he'd normally use multifinish then paint, but I can't help thinking there must be a better solution than putting a porous finish over a waterproof board.
Any sort of plastic cladding is out.
I was wondering if there's some water resistant skim coat out there, but I can't find anything.
Is it possible to get a decent finish by skimming with white flexible tile adhesive then painting?
Or do you think multifinish will be fine?
Many thanks

Venetian Marble but its pretty expensive

C

Colour Republic

I would paint the ceiling in a quality paint. Little Greene Intelligent Matt is a of course a matt finish emulsion paint (5% sheen which is flatter with less sheen than most standard interior vinyl matts) but is also suitable for exteriors so whilst looking like an interior paint it acts like a masonary paint so can deal with water splashs no problem, it is also washable so will not buff up and create shiney patches when washed.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Waterproof skim finish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm redoing my bathroom that I did 15 odd years ago. Before it was tiled with 20x20...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB