Discuss Waterproofing an untanked wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dee.633

Hi,
I am finishing off a previously started wet room which is already tiled on the walls but not grouted. The walls were not tanked and the tiles were laid on to bare plaster board. Not ideal but i am where i am. Should I use epoxy grout on the walls to try and get the maximum waterproofing I can or would a water resistant grout suffice?

The floor is a better situation as it is tanked and the tanking goes approx 6 inch up the walls. I am wanting to put travertine mosaic tiles on the floor and may still use epoxy grout, unless you recomend otherise. The travatine has the natural holes and dips in it which would normaly be filled with an ordinary grout, if I use epoxy do i fill these imperfections with the grout?

Do I seal the travertine tiles before I grout them?

Many thanks for yur help.

S

Stef

You could use a standard grout and try this Tradetiler Aqumix Tile Sealer

I was looking at that tile sealer & it states that its for ceramic tiles, is it ok to use on any other tiles, ie porcelain, stone etc,
reason i ask is i used an aerosol sealer on my kitchen tiles, red glass, think it was universal seal but it left residue on the face of the tile. you cant see it unless the tiles are wet, once dried it dissapears.

J

jay

I was looking at that tile sealer & it states that its for ceramic tiles, is it ok to use on any other tiles, ie porcelain, stone etc,
reason i ask is i used an aerosol sealer on my kitchen tiles, red glass, think it was universal seal but it left residue on the face of the tile. you cant see it unless the tiles are wet, once dried it dissapears.

there are two main sealers used over here super seal witch needs to be buffed off within one hour of application http://www.solutionssealers.com.au/...on 2010/Super Seal Application Data Sheet.pdf

there is also Sure seal witch doesnt need buffing after application Sure Seal Australia - Tile, Grout and Masonry Sealers - Porcelain Sealants and Cleaners

might be the problem

P

PHG Dave

Hi Dee,
Re your comment on the 'water resistant grout' please note that all that means is that the grout will not be affected by water but unsealed it will still absorb water and even allow it through eventually - ie it is not waterproof. By sealing with a good impregnating sealer such as LTP's Mattstone it will seal it off.
The main issue even for an epoxy grout or a sealed cement based grout is the potential for any movement in corners between wall to wall or wall to floor may cause the grout to crack and allow water a route through. In corner locations try using a colour matched Silicone sealant.

Re the sealing of the travertine tiles i would normally recommend a first coat of sealer before grouting to stop the travertine from absorbing the moisture out of the grout as you are applying it. If you are not very quick in getting the grout in the joints of unsealed trav it can be like trying to push dry sand in !
The sealer will not stop the grout from sticking in any holes present.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Waterproofing an untanked wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Waterproofing an untanked wetroom
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.