Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss weight/and advice on travertine tiles in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

R

rroobb21

hi all this is my first post im looking for some help,im about to fit a new bathroom and im fitting travertine tiles 450mm x 350mm x 12 around the bath the height of the tiles will be 1680mm and the length 1800mm..what im after is the weight per m2(i dont want them falling off) and any tips on what i should do to prepare the surface and anything else i should no,when i remove the old tiles should i remove the old plaster and tile directly on to the concrete wall,i was told these tiles would be fine to fit around the bath(brought from topps tiles) but the more i read the harder it seems,i wasnt given any advice just told they would be fine,any help would be much appreciated thanks

R

rroobb21

Hello and welcome.. Odd sized tile.. are they not 457x305..?

As for the weight.. I have seen some lower grade in topps, so they can be lighter than premium grade as they have more holes in the back, hence less stone and just filled on the surface.. but still to heavy for a skimmed wall IMO..

hi yes sorry they are 457x305 sorry i dont no what i was thinking haha,thanks for the advice so far,whats the best method of fixing the hardiboard to the concret block wall?

A

Aston

hi yes sorry they are 457x305 sorry i dont no what i was thinking haha,thanks for the advice so far,whats the best method of fixing the hardiboard to the concret block wall?

you will need to screw timber battens to the concrete block wall and then fix the hardibacker boards to the battens using corrosion resistant screws at approx 200mm centers.
make sure you stagger the boards, so you dont have a continuous seem going all along the wall.
make sure you have a batten across anywhere where the board has a join to fully support the hardi board.
keep the boards about 3-5 from touching the adjacent walls etc to allow for some room for expansion, i personally, fill this void with sillicone.
you will need the 12mm hardi boards for the wall and then tape the edges of the boards using their 50mm wide alkaline resistant tape/mesh smoothed over with spf adhesive.
give the boards a wipe over with a damp sponge prior to tiling..

ps, if i am fixing battens to a concrete/concrete block exterior wall, then i try and give the timber a quick coat of timber protection incase any damp issues occur that may affect the timber (belt and brace but 5 mins work its worth it to me!

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to weight/and advice on travertine tiles in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB