Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Weight limit problems again ! in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Last night I got a call asking me to tile an Ensuite and as the chat progressed I found out that the room was on paramount boards that had previously been tiled. When the old tiles ( which I tiled some years ago) were removed it obviously damaged teh walls. So it was patched and re skimmed.

In the shower cubicle itself they have moved some pipework. So the back wall of the shower is half ply and half plasterboard running vertical . These pipes are central heating and hot and cold pipes, so you can imagine what will happen.

The tiles chosen are 400x400x 15mm Marble ! I estimated the weight being over 40Kgs per m2 which is double the weight limit allowed. Coupled with the fact that the back wall where ply meets plaster is an accident waiting to happen and the mentioned weight issues, I declined the job.

Now the site manager wanted me to tile it but also agreed with all issues . His boss just says to get it tiled. I wont do it so the bricklayer will !

Now the site manager was asking why they were sold these tiles if there are all these issues and weren't the tile shop responsible in any way ? I cant really see how they can be unless they knew the substrate !

Well as it stands at the moment it will get tiled no matter what, the bricklayer will do it as it has to be done by Tuesday. The tiles cant be changed as the client is abroad on holiday......The client is a designer /Architect !!!

Update before I even finish typing this.....another phone call from site manager.....asking will I tile it if they accept a disclaimer from me ? NO !

Its one of those jobs I would love to watch being done but I will steer well clear......Right off to clean my windows !

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Weight limit problems again ! in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB