UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss well it had to happen. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stuartavo

after finishing my new bathroom with travertine all looked superb,got the pat on the back from the wife and left her to admire.

3 weeks later going to use the bathroom i heard a strange sound.sounded like sand being crushed under foot.now i thought i had done everything correct.primed the new ply with mapei product and then a ci membrane.sealed the trav and then grouted. and then sealed again.what i think has happened is the adhesive hasnt bonded to the ply.the tiles are crack free and still look superb.i think the floor is going to have to come up again and use no more ply on top of the ply before going again with the adhesive and tiles.now dont get me wrong the sound is very slight and the grout and floor look amazing,just i know its not right and rather frustrating.
:mad2:.

ive a on suite to do now in the same material and want to double check where i went wrong.

at the moment i have joists only.what sort of ply do you use,i used wbp before and 18mm thick,is this the best foundation,before the cement board,and is this really totally necessary,i have mixed reviews from the pros locally.

cheers

T

turnstone

this might help, use hardy backer its grided out for you makes it easy to mark out and use, rather than no more ply, also no my ply you have to pilot the screw holes or it will crush at the edges, hardy just drill straight through no fuss. also use slow set adhesive on cement board sometimes rapid drys to quick not giving enough time for the tiles to adhere properly. hope it helps.

D

DHTiling

Hi Dave ...we have had a few installations with the same problem on the old but Dural have been great in fixing the problems and the new Ci + is great

Hi Stu mate... long time no speak..

Ye Dural have been good, they repaired a 200 mtr one of mine.. i have used the new ci+...

Shame Dural are the only ones to do anything about that problem.. others are blaming fixer error..

S

stuartavo

There had been problems with that older style matting , where as the polyethylene delaminates from the fleece giving you a crunching sound as you walk across the tiles , a bit like walking on egg shells is the best description.

that sounds about right.

obviously the floor gotta come up,and more trav bought.does dural recompensate for failure.i have some matting over,but unfortunately have no bill as i bought a roll off of ebay at the time.

D

DHTiling

that sounds about right.

obviously the floor gotta come up,and more trav bought.does dural recompensate for failure.i have some matting over,but unfortunately have no bill as i bought a roll off of ebay at the time.

They inject a resin into the membrane void to bond it back together..ring Dural tech and tell them you think you have a seperation issue.

yep been busy for a while just opening a new showroom and distribtion in kent and it takes all my time....i have heared of a few problems with lesser known makes but did not know the out come....I think Schluter must be laughing though the amount of customers we have who have had ci issues and switched to ditra..Hows are you keeping your self ,,still busy i hope

Reply to well it had to happen. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
well it had to happen.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.