Discuss Wet cutter for indoors in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

S

StephenR

I know there's been a number of threads on wet cutters so maybe I can pointed at the right one that will suit what I'm after.

I have a job coming up on the 4th floor of a block of flats. The client has chosen a Topps Stardust tile; those resin tiles with sparkly bits in them. I've put some on walls on another job and they need to be wet cut. My wet cutter is a hand held Dewalt and water goes everywhere so can only be used outside. That will be a monumental pain on this job.

So does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap wet tile cutter I can use inside on a tarpaulin, with maybe some wall protection too that keeps most of it's water in the machine without throwing it absolutely everywhere. If there's such a thing of course. Or am I completely wrong on this and I have to do this outside.

thanks,

Stephen

S

StephenR

After I wrote this, I remembered reading something about quartz resin tiles and UFH being a no no. And it would seem a bad move from posts I found on this forum.

So have advised the client not to have the resin things, maybe polished porcellain could get the same effect and so, no wet tile cutter will be needed.

Thanks for the replies and sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

cheers,

Stephen

S

StephenR

The client has decided to go with Topps Stardust having been reassured they are fine with UFH from the manufacturer.

Someone, either Topps or the Stardust supplier said the Galaxy granite was a composite tile as well. I was a bit surprised as when I looked, it seemed to have a depth of colour and variation the Stardust just doesn't have. Wonder what's going on there.

So looks like I'll go with the Vitrex cutter suggested as well.

cheers,

Stephen

S

StephenR

Galaxy Granite isn't a composite tile..

It's not a resin bonded tile (as far as I know)

I just used it as a feature in a pub.

Watch those tiles with UFH as they might curl.

All you can do in these situations is advise the client as best you can. I'll install them as recommended. They've been convinced they're OK for this install. Over wet UFH, not advised. Electric UFH is OK with appropriate commisioning procedure.

I guess I'm about to find out what happens :)

cheers,

Stephen

I

ian158

The client has decided to go with Topps Stardust having been reassured they are fine with UFH from the manufacturer.

Someone, either Topps or the Stardust supplier said the Galaxy granite was a composite tile as well. I was a bit surprised as when I looked, it seemed to have a depth of colour and variation the Stardust just doesn't have. Wonder what's going on there.

So looks like I'll go with the Vitrex cutter suggested as well.

cheers,

Stephen

thats what i have..just used it for some wet cuts in a flat..used plastic backed dust sheets and turned them upside down..also dont fill the tank up as much ..just enough to cover the tip of the blade did it for me....oh and get a plastic apron..you dont get so wet then !

S

StephenR

Whats the difference between wet ufh or electric, it's all heat which could effect the tiles.

Well exactly. I am promised a data sheet explaining all tomorrow and the commissioning procedure for the UFH.

It all sounds bonkers to me and I'm not convinced by what I've been told. But the client has been convinced, didn't go with my Galaxy granite suggestion which I think looks better anyway and in this case, would even be cheaper.

Makes you wonder sometimes.

S

Stef

Well exactly. I am promised a data sheet explaining all tomorrow and the commissioning procedure for the UFH.

It all sounds bonkers to me and I'm not convinced by what I've been told. But the client has been convinced, didn't go with my Galaxy granite suggestion which I think looks better anyway and in this case, would even be cheaper.

Makes you wonder sometimes.

As you say Stephen, you can only advise. As long as your getting paid to lay them..

S

StephenR

I got a fixing guide for the Stardust. It involved heating the floor at 5 deg per day to 25 deg then holding it there for 3 days, then letting it cool. Use a BAL slurry bonding coat on the tile backs 1hr before fixing. Sealing is also required if the grout colour is different to the tile.

I'm thinking, there's something up if you have to do all this.

Plus although I laid ultraplan renovation screed over the DEVI mat, one of the wires floated to the surface so I ain't turning that on before tiles are on top. And I also wonder what DEVI would have to say about turning iton without tiles on top even without my floating wire.

None of this makes me feel very good.

C

Concrete guy

Galaxy Granite isn't a composite tile..

It's not a resin bonded tile (as far as I know)

I just used it as a feature in a pub.

Watch those tiles with UFH as they might curl.

It's granite, it comes from one mountain region in India (Andhra Pradesh region).

If they want a silver sparkly granite then that's Cosmos or Stargate Granite (same stone - two names from Zimbabwe).

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wet cutter for indoors in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
HI FOLKS. LOOKING TO EXPAND ON MY TILING TOOLS AND INVEST IN A WET TILE CUTTER. WITH SO MANY...
Replies
Views
Hi I would like to use some indoor tiles outside on the top of my fish pond wall, the tiles I am...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB