UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wet room advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

navi

I have attached images of a former ground floor shower room that I would like to convert into a wet room. It has been stripped back to sub-floor level.

The dimensions (to the sub-floor) are:

H: 260cm
W: 77cm
L: 184cm

I have several queries I need advice on and would appreciate any replies.

I would like to use a Purus corner drain in the left corner of the room. Has anyone used Purus equipment or know of where I can locate it?

Do you think I could use the Bottom Outlet type with the existing waste pipe?

In the third picture you can see 25mm of insulation and 60mm of the previous floor. Will it be sufficient to get a new floor poured with a slope towards the left corner of the room? What depths should I be lookin at getting?

What are peoples experiences of underfloor heating and which system would be recommended?

I realise the room needs to be tanked. What is peoples preference, paint on types (e.g BAL WP1) or mats (e.g Schluter Kerdi)?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

J

JFRWhipple

Kerdi, Kerdi DS or a liquid for wet room tanking

I would not use a liquid membrane for a slab on grade set up for fear of water migration up through the ground. As far as Kerdi I think this is only good for walls being that it is only 8 mil thick. Kerdi DS would be a better bet or any of the membranes in the 22-30 mil thickness.

I have yet to install a corner drain like shown but have done a couple custom linear drains I had made. These drains I installed over a clamping style drain with excellent results. The membrane I used was an American Product called Noble Seal TS from Noble Company. 30 mil thick and ties into plumbing with a product like Kerdi Fix.

I would keep any heating wire away from the connection point a good 4-6" and apply the sheet membrane (Kerdi DS etc) over top. Here in Vancouver we like the use of the sheet membranes for the floor and floor to wall conections and then we swap out to liquids. Mapei's Aquadefence being our favourite. I showcase a lot of our work on my blog site WWW.NO-CURB.COM ( Linear Shower Drains and Barrier Free Bathrooms ) if you want to see these bathrooms I mention.

I'll try and post a picture fore you.

JW

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wet room advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.