Discuss wet room and anhydrite screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shick

Hi

I am after some advice on the following,

I have been to look at a job which had problems in a wet room, i removed the floor tiles (very easily)
which were fixed directly to the Anhydrite underfloor heated screen.
I say its anhydrite as i have laid screeds before but this seems a lot finer and you can scratch layers of fine dust off.

What i am looking for is the correct way to reconstruct the wet room and what tried and tested materials should i use, the cost is not an issue it just needs doing correctly.

I have removed the wall tiles too as they have been fixed directly onto plasterboard and this is soaking.

I will be using hardi backer boards for the shower wall areas.

Do i need to sand the screed down (its was laid about 4 years ago) as i did read this in a thread
somewhere.

I am aware that uncoupled matting is advised, floor levels could be an issue if using ditra 25 matting, i was wondering if there was a suitable fleece membrane which would keep the door floor level difference to a minimum or am i best sticking with Ditra 25 or even durabase CI

thanks

Mark

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi Mark

As it is a wet room the anhydrite should have had a fully water proof protective layer or not used. The only realistic way to deal with it will be to get it dry then apply a waterproof tanking membrane before putting the tile back down. you might be best using an Epoxy DPM once the screed is dry as this will keep the depth to a minimum and allow you to safly use a cement based adhesive. the DPM can be applied in two coats with the second being strewn with sand to make a rough textured surface to give a good key.

S

shick

Hi Alan

thanks for reply

Using the method you outlined above, would i need to remove the laitence from the screed ?
Can you recommend an Epoxy DPM and what sort of sand would be suitable?

I have spoken to the customer today and explained the floor level may need to be raised slightly and he was fine with this.
If i was to go down the route of removing the laitence, priming the screed, fixing ditra 25 then tiling onto the matting, what primer would i use and what adhesive to fix the Ditra 25 to the primer.
I presume its ok to use cement based adhesive to fix the tiles.

thanks

Mark

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
WP will be fine .. Ditra etc is crack mat but also tanking mat , WP will keep your height down. Or Schluter Kerdi mat if you prefer schluters products.

But Ditra is fine for the floor if you prefer to use that.. Your choice.. Just makes sure to tape/seal all joints from walls /floor to wall and floor joints and all corners.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wet room and anhydrite screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a walk in shower room ... Sort of a wet room but not quite. I used a kerdi style wet...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB