UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss wet under floor heating??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all

Currently talking to a customer through emails regarding a bathroom he wants tiling, he's been asking me questions regarding best prep for travertine etc.

He has told me he has installed wet ufh which i have no experience of. Here is what he's writen in regard to floor:
We have had some different views on how to treat the floor of the bathroom ready for tiling and would appreciate your views so we have prepared the floor appropriately.

We have the studwork of one wall done now and we have put in the wet underfloor heating as follows
75mm of Kingspan insulation supported on 2” x 2” battens on the sides of the joists
50mm of 3:1 cement screed around the heating pipes giving a finished surface level with the top of the joists
It is very solid but the cement screed is likely to expand and contract at a different rate to the timber joists so we are told the concrete may expand and rise up relative to the joists.

My thoughts are to lay a 12mm ply sheet over the floor There will need to be a join as the area is too big for a single sheet. My thoughts are to but the 2 pieces together over a joist and screw those mating edges down but leave the others free to move with any expansion or contraction. What are your thoughts?

Can anyone explain to me how this kind of floor works, i just dont get where the joists come into it. I just thought wet floors were just for concrete floors. I am pretty sure the plywood idea is a no no! but what is the best way? I am going to look at it soon but want some advice on this type of floor before i do.

Really appreciate responses :smilewinkgrin:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
this type of floor is becoming quite common although sand cement screed does not generally have the flexural strength to cope with the level of deflection involved in a joisted floor. The joists need to be engineered to take the weight without bouncing and the screed needs to be reinforced with fibres or d49 steel mesh. If these factors have not been considered my opinion would be don't tile it.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Screed weighs about 108 kg m2 at 50mm thick, that can be some downward weight
1.08kn/m2 approximately. Domestic floors are usually designed for 1.5pm/m2 loadings but the deflection that this downward force creates is the important bit. Too much deflection and the sheer stress at the ends of the beams can be exceeded and the floor Falls down. Taking account of the adhesive weights and the tile weights I would think that this one needs cnfirmation from building control at least if not a structural engineer

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wet under floor heating??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.