UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wetroom: how do a create a raised floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Louisa

I have a silly toilet / shower arrangement: the toilet is in a separate room behind the shower room and accessed via a bedroom. If I take down the wall between them, I end up with a corridor room, 3.3m x 1m, with a door at one end. As you walk in, then, there would be the wash hand basin, the shower and behind it, the loo.

So, if I swap the positions of shower and toilet, and put the shower at the far end, toilet in the middle of the long wall, all will work :) But I have to deal with shifting the soil pipe for the loo, and the best way I can think of doing it is to put in a raised floor for both shower and toilet, which will accommodate the soil pipe and shower waste beneath it, so the last half of the 'corridor' will be perhaps 9" higher than the rest.

Now, I like wetrooms, and I like to be able to shower off the toilet when I've cleaned it, it just makes so much sense, so by doing this and making the whole platform a wetroom floor, I fulfil my dreams. Well, perhaps not all of them, but you know what I mean! I'm quite handy, so I'm not worried about doing this, but some advice would be welcome, mainly about how strong the new raised platform needs to be. I could use blocks and concrete but for ease of building and plumbing, I'd prefer to use wood. I'm thinking a 3x2 frame with a 3/4" waterproof chipboard top as a substrate for the tiling. I would like a gully rather than a single point waste, too. Full bed waterproof tile cement, waterproof tile grout with a return up the wall for a few inches, normal tiling above.

Does this sound like a plan?

Louisa

L

Louisa

The soil pipe dives straight into the floor, below which is a vaulted arch of stone work, not territory I want to go into. Party walls are very thick and not external, they are neighboring houses. Tapping into this soil pipe is the only way to go.

I'm interested to hear from others on the chipboard question. I could go with concretous stuff here, but the thicknesses over the soil pipes will increase and then the platform will be getting too high. And laying blocks instead of woodworking is hell on my nails! *blonde moment....*

Louisa

M

micko

I am out of my depth here but have done some casual reading on the forum. Plywood and then cement tile backer boards are normally recommended. The ply has to be fitted so there is no deflection at all, well supported. I am not sure if you can get away with ¾ ply and then a 6mm board.

As for your wet room you need to do some reading, there are many ways of tanking your walls and many different types of formers/ shower trays you can use. Not a simple task.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wetroom: how do a create a raised floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.