Discuss Wetroom Tanking or Not is The Case. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Had to look at a wetroom as there was some damage into an adjoining bedroom wall, started to remove the mosaic and realised there was no kind of tray.
The timber within the shower area after removing the Travertine had some severe rot.
The guy who rents the property is a solicitor, the remaining floor needs pulling up but seems reluctant to have it done.
A bath is going to replace the shower area, it was done 8 years ago so water has been leaking through for that length of time.

Cracked Mosaic on Shower Base.jpg Cracked Tile in Shower.jpg Damage to Studwork.jpg Wet Room Harpenden 005.jpg Wet Room Harpenden 008.jpg Wet Room Harpenden 012.jpg Water Damge.jpg Shower Stripped to Maximum.jpg Wet Room Harpenden 025.jpg Wet Room Harpenden 023.jpg

S

Spare Tool

Last year I had 4 holiday let cottages that I was due to start on the Monday pulled on the Friday because the owner had been in the plumbers merchants and they'd told him tanking was a waste of time so apparently "I must have been trying to rip him off, and what else was I charging him for he didn't need" I was only charging £60 per shower for tanking including mats...
I said i'll happily tile straight onto your plasterboarded shower and forget the tanking but won't guarantee anything. That's the last I heard from him, so I'm guessing he saved himself a fortune...and possibly by now has some nice brown stains on the living room ceilings.
Me and the misses considering hiring one of the holiday lets and giving the shower a run for its money, sure we could 'make' it leak if we tried hard enough :smilewinkgrin:

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
It's unbelievable..........people just don't want to pay for wot they can't see.......regardless of how much info/advice we give them.

F-ing builders/plumbers telling them the wrong info.....or it's not needed doesn't help. I really wish other trades would keep their gobs shut. :mad2:

Builders are the worst......telling people that "you don't need Hardibacker etc etc.......only because plasterboard is easier to put up......or Ditra, because the heated screed is fine to put stone straight on. They do my head in......they know best, and the customer believe everything, and then WE are left to appear the rip of merchant.

Rant over. **yawn**

S

Spare Tool

do it right or it will be shi*e,
give the customer options,but the cheapest is not always the best.
if i am not happy doing the customers job just because they don`t want to pay,i would walk away.
The option I gave him was it'll be £240 knocked off the bill and i'll do it his way but won't guarantee anything...its a shame really cuz they would have been decent bathrooms too...nice tiles, mosaic features etc.
Like CJ says plumbers, builders etc should stick to what they know and let us get on with what we know.
Probably be getting a call soon to go and rip them all out n start again

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wetroom Tanking or Not is The Case. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB