UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What a choice to make? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

willbones

Hello guys, hoping some of you will find the time to offer your views. I'm really keen to learn tiling - an i mean learn as much as i can. I've looked at various courses and spent a while reearching. I've now come to the crux: Should i opt for the 4 week PTS course, or the 4 day NE tiling course. Both have got really good reviews, i just want to know hoe much more you can learn in 4 weeks compared to 4 days? Im sure the 4 week course gives you more practice, but does this justify the extra money? I have 2 old houses to practice and hone my skills on, complete bathrooms and kitchens in both. Just cant decide which course to go for!!!!

Any opinions welcome, negatives as well, always best to get some balance.

Regards

Will

M

M D HUGHES

Hi, I did the 4 day one and found it good. Gets the general ideas and methods over well, considering its 4 days. Once finished I've gone out into the workplace and although feel I have the knowledge to a certain degree am lacking a bit in the practical/techical/problem side really. Anyone can tile a wall and make a good job of it without and training but its the other side of things I feel could have been covered if I had longer to ask, think for myself, well what ifs.
I've come across some pretty strange people and requests in 2 weeks of officially being in the game and have been a little stumped at times with technical problems, although its all in there somewhere. Because I havent done it I'm constantly doubting myself that I have the method right (posting on here can reasure you though and its handy to give that bit of extra confidence). I think I may have been a bit unlucky getting some right testers and mental clients as my first jobs but hey, only doing it can prepare you for that.
So all in all, £400 well worth it to me for what I've learnt, very good!
Would I have liked to cover more problem matters practically with a littlemore time? Yes!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

C

Concept PHT

For the difficult customers (and we have all had them), stick to your plan, not theirs. They will try and test you with what they apparantly know from google to bend you into their way of thinking, and to get the price down.

The minute they see lack of confidence, they have you. ALWAYS try and measure up then go away and plan the job.

Good for 2 reasons. 1 - you can put the price in without the risk of getting haggled on the spot. 2 - you can get advice from others if you are unsure of how a jopb should be, then drop it in the post to the customer. :)

W

willbones

This is my point - it would be foolish to assume that you could learn to tile properly in just4 days, or even 4 weeks. I kinda see it like learning to drive - passing your test just makes it legal for you to go out on the roads and learn to drive for real. So do you think it would be better to spend 4 days learning the basics and then just getting stuck as much as ones comfortable with, or would it be better to spread the learning process over 4 weeks. Decisions decisions. I thought i had made my mind up to do the 4 week course, but no im kinda thinking, do a 4 dayer - see how it goes, see what you can learn, tackle a few jobs and then decide. I guess its better to test the water with £400 than with almost £2000.

M

M D HUGHES

Oh mate, I had a lady telling me to stick 6mm ply down and use a 'focus tile and grout' in 1 product last week. I wasn't quite sure how to deal with her but started on about the reasons I had to use the quality products I did amongst other things, she told me the lad who did the last job used it and they had no bother. I said I'll quote you how I will do it and you make your mind up. I think she's expecting the job done for a couple of hundred, working my quote out the actual price I'd draw up would be around £400 and that giving a reasonable dicount on materials.How can you compete with that?Another old bloke wanted me to tile direct to his boards. I explained reasons for plying out but he just gave me 'timber is timber and if one will move so will the other so whats the point? Its unneeded materials I can't afford. I just gave up with him and said he'd be best to get another guy in if he wanted a cowboy job. I tried to be polite but it difficult when someone is trying to tell you your business. I'm sure you've all had them.

G

guy1976

do the 4 dayer see what you learn and see if you like it do a couple of small jobs and if you come across anything you dont know about stand back and try and work them out on your own. write down problems you had on piece of paper and phone the training centre you have previously done course at and ask how to overcome that problem im sure they will explain to you.ordo another 4 day course somewhere else and when booking ask if they cover the things tou had trouble with and do that course im sure the 2 4dayers will be cheaper than a 4 weeker

C

Concept PHT

MD, thats exactly the reason why I always try and measure up then go away and quote. On my quotes, I set out the scheme of work (not in too much detail of course) and the materials used. I then explain that this is to British Standards in the following paragraph.

They either take it or they don't - as always, 'you get what you pay for'....

Nothing worse than the 'Wickes How To Leaflet' expert trying to tell you how its going to be...

G

GazLC81

Just an idea but you can do a 2 week course at Chase academy for £775. It covers a lot too. I am going to book a course with someone in the next week or so and I like the look of Chase. If you haven't already then drop them an email and ask for a brochure, ask a few questions too, they are really helpful there. The only thing the 2 week course doesn't, which i'd like to learn, is under tile heating.

Is there much call for that though? Someone else will know better than me on here......

L

Leatherface

Stick to the 4 dayer mate - then take on jobs you are happy to tackle.
Natural stone is a piece of **** if you can tile already - just all wet cutting. You just have to be aware of the correct adhesives to use & how to seal.
Big money to be earned.
As far as pricing goes - on the whole you should always get the customers address & say you will submit in writing - saves the awkward haggling. The only time I give a price on the spot is for a little job - one dayer. Then I give them the cash option, they usually go for it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What a choice to make? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Looking into a city and guilds 6 week course to complete and then a start in this trade. Would...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
N
Hello guys, I'm 35 and looking to re-train as a Tiler. I've done a few small jobs for friends...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.