UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss what adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

NorthSeaTiger

Im about to do my forst tiling job for a while. Its for my girlfriends mum and its a kitchen splashback. total area is 3.5m2.

I haven't been in tomy local Topps or Tile Giant for a few years so was wondering what you guys would suggest in the way of grout and adhesive? I am just looking to get decent stuff that isnt to pricey.

was thinking of using bucket stuff as its a small job...

Whats the best? cheers...

D

DHTiling

If the walls are in good condition , then simply dust them down to remove surface dust or wipe over with a damp sponge, you do not normally prime walls if using a bucket dispersion adhesive as it dries through losing it's moisture into the substrate and through the joints and anchors to the substrate/tile through crystallization in the surface capillaries.

Priming can hinder the adhesive drying times and the substrate should should none friable and sound in structure... if in doubt then prime the surface to consolidate and then switch to a slow setting cement based adhesive .. this will also allow for any surface irregularities as the cement based adhesive can be used thicker for flattening out the walls..

N

NorthSeaTiger

I used to use BAL when I tiled before years ago so I'll stick with that, I was just trying to find out if there was anything a bit cheaper that was quite decent. Im doing it for nothing for her anyway so she shouldnt be to bothered about paying for decent materials...

I spoke to the guy in topps today and he said my account is off the system but I can re register and he'll gimme the stuff I buy at trade price. happy days.

As some of you know I work offshore and have done a bit of tiling years ago and was planning on starting a business for when im at home to pass the time and to make some extra money so this job is a good place to start and refresh my memory a bit. I've also got my sisters house to do, bathroom and kitchen, so these are handy to start me off again.

Thanks for your help. I'll post pics once its done.

D

DHTiling

difference of opinion here dave i cant believe you are telling someone not to seal ,prime the walls ive been doing this job for forty years now,i would never ever tile walls without sealing or priming walls first or maybe i dont know what im talking about better safe than sorry i would say myself

Bri.. like i said read the info on the tub.. not all dispersion adhesive require the substrate to be primed.. that is all i am saying..:)

Some say a watered down coat to seal the dust, some say no primer... each product has to be taken as per the instructions... but there is no reaction between Acrylic dispersion adhesives and gypsum backgrounds like there is with cement based adhesives..

A watered down primer will not hurt but follow directions is what peeps have to do, is all i am pointing out as well..

If a primer is recommended then use it and if not then don't with tubbed adhesive...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.