Discuss What adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

shongu

Hi there!
I've got a bathroom to tile, but there are a big variety of backgrounds. In shower area 1 wall is d&b moistureboard, but on the studs are aquapanels. Outside the shower there are some unskimmed moistureboard, and other places painted skim finish, while the floor is ply. What gives me the extra thinking is the tile size, which are 600x600x10 porcelain. I already have some BAL flexi rapidset from a friend for the floor (or should I use something else),but what could I use for the walls? Is there an adhesive what's could be used on all surfaces and have enough grip to support these tiles? I also wanted to use BAL SBR or Mapei primer G on the floor prior tiling, but is that good enough to use on the painted plaster?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

S

shongu

Is there any chance that the painted skimmed areas can be cut out and replaced with Aqua/hardie board....do to the weight of the tiles.
Hi!
Unfortunately this was already prepaired by someone else and I don't think they have the budget to spend on demolition again. I tought myself the paint could be a problem and wanted to find a cheaper solution for them, like a primer or stabilizer what would do the job, but on the other hand I don't want to go back to do repairs either, so I may and up just to srtip it back.

S

shongu

If you can get a wall paper steamer use it on the skimmed walls and leave for a bit and it should blow the finish, at least your'll be tiling on plasterboard.

I woke up in the morning and decided to strip back the whole lot. The plaster was just flaking off like it wasn't bonded to the surface properly at all. I'm just wondering how many tiles that plaster could have held :D
Now I've got a good surface overall. I made up my mind so i'll prime the boards and the ply and use BAL SPF all round and BAL RSF on the floor. I can sleep better now because it was going to bugging me anyway if I know the job is not going properly. Thanks for the help anyway.....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB