UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What are my options? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diytrainee

In my kitchen there are currently quarry tiles on the floor. We are intending on overlaying these with some approx 40 x 40 travertine.

The floor is pretty flat all over except for one area when you walk in that's approx. 2m x 0.75m. This area is higher than the rest of the floor in some places and lower in others.

My initial idea was to rip this uneven section up and use SLC. But was concerned about a) how long it will take the SLC to dry before I can lay tiles on top??? B) the depth I can make up with SLC. We are looking to tile the floor with travertine next week.

Do I have another options after ripping the offending tiles up? E.g coul I make the gap up with ply/backerboard/adhesive instead of SLC?

Or any other options?

What I don't want to do is rip up all the quarry tiles.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

G

Gazzer

Best bet is to rip up the tiles...sorry. You could then use a backer board to the correct thickness to get the floor ready to tile.
If you choose to patch the floor you could use self leveller assuming it will be correct for the depth required but tiling onto tiles is not sensible. You may find when you remove the high spot that this will loosen the other tiles. Should you tile over with Travertine then you could well be asking for trouble and a big expense at a later date.
Should you still insist on tiling over the quarries then at the very least use a decoupling membrane.

Reply to What are my options? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.