UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What are my options? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

It not just 'sand and cement' but the lightest washed building sand and the driest Portland grey cement, gently mixed with accurately measured amounts of fresh clear water into a semi dry consistency. This is M&S sand and cement!
Now DIYtrainee that is being condescending but in a way that is meant to evoke a fun but helpful reply to your enquiry.
It will also be cheaper than buying bags of levelling compound to fill over 2 inches deep.

Somerset
DIY Trainee - welcome, a lot of us here emerged from the DIY world to take on tiling full time, so I would offer you advice about what is being said here.

1. Members of the forum like Nybor, Kilty and Mike are respected by all of us here and I trust much of what they advise, but if you have received info and advice from Sir Ramic and Doug Boardley then trust me, they are always giving you the right advice - no matter how hard it is to swallow.
2. You can hire a SDS multi drill for 1/2 day for about £10 from most tool hire shops. You may find it easier to remove them using a slightly bent or shovel shape chisel. You will be able to remove those tiles and the adhesive sticking them at the rate of 5-10 sq m an hour.
3. Travertine has very little strength to resist movement - the tiles are structurally weak and crack at the slightest movement. The fixed quarry tiles are most certainly not all fully fixed and will move when walked on.
4. If you really want to tile on the quarry tiles, then swap the travertine for a porcelain tile that looks similar. Even then, use of an uncoupling membrane like ditra mat by Schluter (other companies provide products that achieve the same) should still be stuck down first - ditra mat is designed to help with unstable floor sub stratas but there are limits to the movement it will isolate - and it is expensive.
5. SLC is ideal for adjusting floor sub strata level - but by the time you have bought it and spent time laying it - you could have removed the quarry tiles. Also bear in mind that a bag of SLC costs £10-25 (dependant on use) - you will probably need more than one. It will not stop movement of any loosening quarry tiles below although some expensive SLC's now allow addition of a strengthening membrane.
6. You could hire someone to remove the tiles for less than you think. How much hassle would that save? There is nothing wrong with hiring someone to do the things you cannot do, whilst you concentrate on the things you can do.

Whatever you decide to do, is entirely up to you at the end of the day. Whatever you decide good luck and hope it all goes well.

Andy

M

Muse2k8

Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't hesitate in spending half a day/a day pulling up the old tiles otherwise in a few months you WILL have to rip up both the trav and quarry tiles and start again costing you not only more time but money also.

All the pros are telling you to do it, it's not just advise it's the correct, best and only way to do this.

You couldn't build a house without foundations because you wanted to avoid digging...

G

Gazzer

Although I cant see the floor as it is now, you say that you need to remove an area which is high. In my experience ( For what you think its worth) is that when you remove that area you could disturb the setting of other tiles around it. This will then make the whole floor loose and you will still have to put it right.
I cant say no more, you seem to want a get fixed quick solution and there isnt one.

D

diytrainee

DIY Trainee - welcome, a lot of us here emerged from the DIY world to take on tiling full time, so I would offer you advice about what is being said here.

1. Members of the forum like Nybor, Kilty and Mike are respected by all of us here and I trust much of what they advise, but if you have received info and advice from Sir Ramic and Doug Boardley then trust me, they are always giving you the right advice - no matter how hard it is to swallow.
2. You can hire a SDS multi drill for 1/2 day for about £10 from most tool hire shops. You may find it easier to remove them using a slightly bent or shovel shape chisel. You will be able to remove those tiles and the adhesive sticking them at the rate of 5-10 sq m an hour.
3. Travertine has very little strength to resist movement - the tiles are structurally weak and crack at the slightest movement. The fixed quarry tiles are most certainly not all fully fixed and will move when walked on.
4. If you really want to tile on the quarry tiles, then swap the travertine for a porcelain tile that looks similar. Even then, use of an uncoupling membrane like ditra mat by Schluter (other companies provide products that achieve the same) should still be stuck down first - ditra mat is designed to help with unstable floor sub stratas but there are limits to the movement it will isolate - and it is expensive.
5. SLC is ideal for adjusting floor sub strata level - but by the time you have bought it and spent time laying it - you could have removed the quarry tiles. Also bear in mind that a bag of SLC costs £10-25 (dependant on use) - you will probably need more than one. It will not stop movement of any loosening quarry tiles below although some expensive SLC's now allow addition of a strengthening membrane.
6. You could hire someone to remove the tiles for less than you think. How much hassle would that save? There is nothing wrong with hiring someone to do the things you cannot do, whilst you concentrate on the things you can do.

Whatever you decide to do, is entirely up to you at the end of the day. Whatever you decide good luck and hope it all goes well.

Andy

Great post. Thanks Andy

J

JLM Tiling

Andy

Now that is an excellent post!!

nybor62

TF
rotherham
Concrete. And under that is slate. Just seen that tonight.

Guys ive been thinking more and more about this and I've decided to go with the overwhelming advise of taking the tiles up.

Thanks again.

im glad you have decided to take up the tiles , it will save you a lot of heart ache, and hopefully you will have a floor to be proud off, thanks for listening cheers .
ROB

Reply to What are my options? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.