Discuss What do you lot think ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
On a job at moment ,I've started tiling the bathroom walls.
Downstairs and upstairs Floor is anhydrite ,60mm ish,and been down a month,wet UFH is not on yet,that's all floors downstairs tiled and bathroom upstairs
I told them UFH has to be turned on to help dry and turned off then tiled,it's being tiled with 800x450 porcelain tiles.
Problem is,plumber on job has said underfloor heating does not have to be turned on,it can be tiled after 2 weeks of being laid and you just have to stick matting down and away you go,EVERY tiler he knows does it like this.
Now is he right,and me wrong,please put your thoughts down nicely as I will show the owner and plumber this thread wether I'm right or wrong
Cheers
Craig

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
With a normal screed you can ditra and tile as soon as its dry enough to tread on without leaving any foot print.
I don't have any experience with anhydrite screeds i'm afraid but read up here and elsewhere about them and can be vety confident that the same rules do not apply.

Ditra does not replace the need for commissioning the UFH though.

M

m3fitter

On a job at moment ,I've started tiling the bathroom walls.
Downstairs and upstairs Floor is anhydrite ,60mm ish,and been down a month,wet UFH is not on yet,that's all floors downstairs tiled and bathroom upstairs
I told them UFH has to be turned on to help dry and turned off then tiled,it's being tiled with 800x450 porcelain tiles.
Problem is,plumber on job has said underfloor heating does not have to be turned on,it can be tiled after 2 weeks of being laid and you just have to stick matting down and away you go,EVERY tiler he knows does it like this.
Now is he right,and me wrong,please put your thoughts down nicely as I will show the owner and plumber this thread wether I'm right or wrong
Cheers
Craig

That's why he's a plumber, not a tiler ;-) I hope you told him how to do his job ;-)

T

TJ Smiler

Cheers chaps, i did advise the owner all of the above, and to be fair he has heard me and is going by my recommendation, BUT its the 1st time ive seen the plumber today, and i can tell he is going to cause problems ,but i will point him to alans link, cheers

Use his head as your new speed ball Craig :11:

Ps: Met Herald 'Bomber' Graham on Saturday night mate, what a good fighter that was......Was chatting to him for about 45 minutes before the fight. Right nice bloke and still in top shape.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Use his head as your new speed ball Craig :11:

Ps: Met Herald 'Bomber' Graham on Saturday night mate, what a good fighter that was......Was chatting to him for about 45 minutes before the fight. Right nice bloke and still in top shape.

Top bloke was bomber,i was and still am gutted when jackson sparked him.

My daughter met joshua on sat night along with a few others, Mitchell, degale and mcdonnel, ive fell out with her :(
Cracking right hand by froch as well

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
Do not tile the floor until the heating has been fully commissioned. I have had an issue recently with an alpha hemi hydrate screed (slightly different but pretty much the same principles). It was 45 mm thick and had been down for 50 odd days from July to Sept last year. UFH was never commissioned and I queried this on the day we started tiling, to be told that it was fine just get on with it. It was fine ... until late November when they commissioned the ufh and 100 m sq of 1m x 1m tiles went pop cos the floor was still wet.

Do everything Alan (Ajax) says. What he doesn't know about screeds isn't worth knowing not some plumber who knows a bit about tiling.

W

White Room

Do not tile the floor until the heating has been fully commissioned. I have had an issue recently with an alpha hemi hydrate screed (slightly different but pretty much the same principles). It was 45 mm thick and had been down for 50 odd days from July to Sept last year. UFH was never commissioned and I queried this on the day we started tiling, to be told that it was fine just get on with it. It was fine ... until late November when they commissioned the ufh and 100 m sq of 1m x 1m tiles went pop cos the floor was still wet.

Do everything Alan (Ajax) says. What he doesn't know about screeds isn't worth knowing not some plumber who knows a bit about tiling.

Who had pay for that to be put right [MENTION=5038]chris.tiling[/MENTION]

T

TJ Smiler

Top bloke was bomber,i was and still am gutted when jackson sparked him.

My daughter met joshua on sat night along with a few others, Mitchell, degale and mcdonnel, ive fell out with her :(
Cracking right hand by froch as well 

HaHaHa i don't like her either now!!! you got that right mate, don't think many (if any would have got up from that) fair play to Groves though, although his legs had totally gone he still tried to get back up. Cracking night.

Reckon i could have floored Froch mate......With the amount of nectar i put down me gullet lol

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Just reading up on this, has the laitance even been removed from the top of this anhydrite screed yet?
I love it when these plumbers tell us how to do our job.
I feel I'm pretty clued up about calcium sulphate screeds now & it's all thanks to one man Alan (Ajax) Jackson..

Aye stef, the owner has sanded it all down.
Im back next week to tile the downstairs wetroom walls,hopefully the plumber will have fit the pump and the leccy connected it up.
The owner is a good bloke and hs listened to what i have said, i pointed him to this forum and he has read up on loads, hopefully the plumber(we all know they are knowitalls)has not got into his head

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
Just to add - I have just tiled an 60mm thick anhydrite screed this week. It was laid in November and the UFH went on in March. We only got the go ahead last week because it was still too wet.

and @whitebeam... not me - though the owner is not happy. Tiles are still down, another tiler has re-grouted with an epoxy in the hopes that it helps stick it to the screed. The tiles are 4 1/2 stone each so don't move, but the grout cracked.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What do you lot think ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB