Discuss what goes under tiles in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

Welcome to the forums Flynn.

How "solid" is your floor? i.e. is there any flex in it?
Are we talking chipboard or floorboards?

It will probably require overboarding prior to tiling to eliminate floor delfection and make the substrate suitable for tiling. I would recommend the use of cement boards as these are impervious to water so ideal for a bathroom environment. Also, you will be able to use a 6mm cement board, as opposed to 18mm plywood, therefore, keeping the increase in floor height to a minimum.

The boards will need to be fixed using a flexible adhesive and then screwed at least every 300mm centres.

Depending on how out of level the floor is you could level it up with the adhesive when "glueing" the cement boards or otherwise apply a thin layer of self levvelling compound prior to tile fixing?

Hope this helps!
Good luck :thumbsup:

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
If a 12mm increase in height is too much, use a tile backer board such as hardiebacker or NoMorePly...these are both 6mm thick and will stiffen the floor. As whitebeam has said, the existing boards must be securely fixed down first, then the backer boards are screwed down every 300mm. The NoMorePly will need priming with something like BAL SBR, but the Hardiebacker wont.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
When you take the sink / toilet out, tile underneath and then re-install them, you may need to re plumb them in as the feeds wont reach the new raised height and the same goes with the soil pipe.

however, leaving then in place mean the tiling takes longer as you have more awkward cuts and if you then change the loo it may not fit the hole left by the old one...so keep some tiles after as a just in case

B

Bolter

if removing your potware (advisable imo) if they're not already fitted with isolator/service valves, fit these as they will help accomodate the raised floor height issues.

Thats great advice! Must try to remember that one :)

For where to start, I always think it looks nice all centred up. Centre the width of the room and dry lay some tiles to see if they work nicely to the edge, you want really half a tile cut around the room or more. Any less and I dont think it looks right, but sometimes cant be avoided. If it doesnt work out right (as in tile cuts are too small at the edge of the room) then use the other centre of the room. Im not mad :) if you imagine, you have marked a centre line on the floor and put a full tile up against it, and then laid more tiles etc, thats one centre point. The other is if you mark the centre of the tile with a pencil, and then match that with the centre line mark, and then mark the floor where the tile edge is. Thats centr line number two.

Then centre the length and dry lay again to see if that way works out ok.

Then you should know where to start. Plan your route out of the bathroom, ping a chalkline (a straight line you work off) and off you go.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what goes under tiles in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB