UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What have I done wrong? Slate tile sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mtm103

Hi all
About a year ago, I had a bathroom tiled with natural slate. This was sealed with slate shine (I believe this is recommended on other threads) and the tiler at the time put one coat. At the time he said no more coats were needed. Over the year the tiles lost their mojo, and we felt that a clean plus potentially another coat of sealant was needed. So we cleaned the tiles and, when dry applied a coat of slate shine, and it looked great, the tiles looked better than when they were first laid, they had a real wet look.. Apart from the wet room.... They looked great until we took a shower, when the tiles dried it looks like we had one of those chalk blackboard wipes and we decided to wipe the tiles with it.... They look ok when wet, but dried they have gone white.. Everywhere else they look perfect, so what have I done wrong?i followed all nstructions, and they look terrible.. Ay ideas?
Thanks

M

mtm103

This is pic of the bit that looks good
bathrooom ok.jpg

M

mtm103

Hi all
This is the sealer, but it was the same sealar used when the tiles were originally laid a year ago..
Lithofin MN Slate-Seal 1 litre
it was applied with a small rolling brush (which you can actually see the size of it on the 2nd pic!) we laid it on the same thickness everywhere so I don't think it is that... Also the wet room looked fine for 24 hours, only when we took a shower..

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

when sealed the surface was not completely dry this is now showing up when hot water from shower raise the temptare on the surface . strip back. some stones will take a longer time to dry out depending on density and calcium in slate .if cleaned with a water based cleaner . allow between 2 -5 days to dry out before resealing .ps you may also have not removed all of the old seal .before re sealing .when looking from the side shine a light over cleaned tiles .if seal is stil present you will see a slite shimmer clean again.

M

mtm103

Hi
I didn't remove the old sealar (the person at the shop said it wasn't necessary, as the old sealar was the slate shine). To clean it I used a heavy duty cleaner in a grey plastic bottle for slate and stone, I bought it from b and q..
How can I fix it? Do i need the WAX OFF and then wait to dry and reseal?
Thanks all for all your help, i thought I waited enough before applying the sealar..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What have I done wrong? Slate tile sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.