UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss what is master craftsman? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

Re: what is master craftsman ////////

A master craftsman is a tradesman who has taught others the the trade, so you have the apprentice and his master

there is the guild of master craftsmen which cinfuses things

you can join this guild by paying the subs and giving three references, most tradesmen dont bother as its worthless but some people fall for it so if someone wants to add cred to their business they can join up and have the badge on their van/ letterheads

U

user123

With the ancestry thing, there is no harm, really, I can think of, it's just a weird ego thing, with the Guild of Master Craftsmen it will depend on the trade/craftsman, as said, so nothing new there. I think some good people genuinely fed up with being tarnished with the same brush as cowboys buythis to make a point, the less honest buy it to look better than they really are... the truth comes out eventually...

S

Stewart

From past experience, I always found the members of the guild I came across, were far from masterly in their chosen trade. This type of tradesmen (if they can be called "tradesmen") use every trick in the the book to make them seem credible and join any association that will have them. Having trained up 4 apprentices of my own..... I would never dream of calling myself that, even if I was entitled to.:ban::ban:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

In my experience you either are, or your not. Let your work speak for you. Not some piece of paper, in the past a true master craftsman led a team of journeymen, including tradesmen, improver's, and apprentices. He would have his name entered in the doomsday book, I would imagine by royal decree. There are trade associations trying to get this time honoured accreditation restored for certain trades, tiling being one of them:thumbsup:

T

Old thread I know, but it took me five years from being nominated to being awarded the title in London on March 10th 2014, Guild of Master Craftsmen is a sham, you pays your money you gets your membership.

I am proud to be one of four tilers in Britain to hold this accreditation. A real honour, not paid for, but earned over a lifetime of hard work and moving along with the changes that have occured in our industry.

So forgive me if I don't have much time for these so called trade organisations or five day / five week courses , they offer worthless bits of paper, they will never turn out real tilers.

Real tilers are not created in a classroom, but on site over many years. End of rant.

T

A craftsman is not something you should ever call yourself!

you only are, if others call you one.

I have never thought of myself as a master craftsman, but I was given that title by others.
I had no say in the matter, just turned up on the day, had a fantastic meal, got a gong and certificate, met some very nice people.

I remain Phil Hobson rag *** tiler from Oldham. My sons are proud, so that will do me, I have been called far worse in my time.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I have never thought of myself as a master craftsman, but I was given that title by others.
I had no say in the matter, just turned up on the day, had a fantastic meal, got a gong and certificate, met some very nice people.

I remain Phil Hobson rag *** tiler from Oldham. My sons are proud, so that will do me, I have been called far worse in my time.

You only went for the nosebag Phil, did you go large? :sofahide:

You're right though Phil, there's a massive chasm between someone who is good at their job to being a master craftsman!!!

Reply to what is master craftsman? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.