Discuss What is the best flooring - Porcelain Granite Marble or Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rodney734

Apologies for repeating this thread but I put it in the wrong place first time.

Hi guys,

I am undecided on what to do and wanted some advice. The builders are in at the moment and we are having a reasonable size through kitchen/Dining Room. I am very undecided on flooring. At the moment I have 4 samples that I like, a porcelain tile (Porcelanosa), a granite tile (Kashmire White) Premium Grade filed Travertine and Marble.

My dilemma is that I do not know which to choose. The 2 I like the most are the Marble and Travertine but I am concerned that these 2 are the worst from a wear and stain point of view. There will be a dinning table and chairs on the floor and also some stools at the breakfast bar. However you look at it is a heavy pedestrian area.

There is 50 square M of tiles so it will cost quite a bit and in a years time I don’t want to regret my decision.

If it needs sealing once or twice a year I don’t have a problem with that.

Am I worrying unnecessarily about Travertine and Marble

D

Daz

You should choose the one that you like the most. If you don't, you will always look at the floor and say to yourself "I wish I'd chosen .........".

A natural stone floor laid properly will look superb and last an age. If it is sealed with an impregnating sealer and cleaned regularly it will require little on-going maintenance.

I say "Go with your heart!"

Another small amount of advice....please use a tiler to do the installation and not a general tradesman as you will notice the difference.
I look forward to seeing the pics when it's completed.

Daz

R

rodney734

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will almost certainly go for some sort of natural stone. Maintenance certainly isn’t a problem and although there are only 2 of us living in the house we do quite a lot of entertaining. At 50 square meters I don’t want to spend a fortune but still know it won’t be cheap. I have quite a few samples now and will probably go out and see more.

It’s a screed floor but we have porcelain tiles in the kitchen which have got to come up. I don’t know what you call it but apparently they will be putting down some self levelling ‘stuff’. Obviously I am not tiling it myself but I do have to choose what goes down. We have taken out a wall between the kitchen and dining room and are also in the middle of an extension which is why it is quite a big room.

My dilemma has been that the ones we like the most are not as hard wearing as the others. If I have to seal them twice a year or so that isn’t a problem.

I will look at these honed ones. Do they wear better or not show the wear because they are matt?

Reply to What is the best flooring - Porcelain Granite Marble or Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Good day all. My daughter has asked me to tile a cooker splashback in her kitchen. They've...
Replies
Views
Seeking ideas for filling in a cut-out section of a porcelain tile floor. I removed a display...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
What is the best flooring - Porcelain Granite Marble or Travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.