UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What is the best substrate before tiling over a new concrete screed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Soyabean

Hi there, I am approaching the end of a rear extension which is going to have a concrete floor. I have just had the web underfloor heating pipes laid and tomorrow a 75mm concrete screed will go over the whole area. We want to have the area tiled and I am researching what the best thing to do is before having the tiles laid? My builder is advising me to purchase Durabase or Duramatt membrane (that's what I think it's called) which from what I gather is a 3mm membrane which comes on a roll. He tells me that it is best that such a product is put down before the tiles are laid. But seeing that this is a tiling forum I thought I would ask the experts in the field for there opinion!
Hope you can help.
Cheers
Sel

D

DHTiling

Hello Sel and welcome.. This membrane will cope with new screeds, as in shrinkage.curling and also with this membrane your tiler can tile it quicker as less waiting time for the screed to dry as the membrane is also a vapour equalisation membrane.. but what we do advise is that the heating is commissioned first before tiling commences... speak to your screed supplier as to the time delay required to add the heat..

S

Soyabean

Hi all and thanks for your replies. We will be putting porcelain tiles onto the screed. I have heard but forgot about commissioning the under floor heating to make sure the screed thoroughly dries out. Thanks for pointing that out.

My next question is, is a membrane really required? I spoke with a tiler who said as long as you use a flexible adhesive then it's not really required. And by adding the membrane I will be doubling the amount of adhesive I will use.

I know that my builder paid extra to have fibre bits added to the screed which is supposed to make it stronger.

I could certainly do without having to fork out for it if I don’t' really require it? But of course if it really is required I will do it. Your thoughts really appreciated

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What is the best substrate before tiling over a new concrete screed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.