UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss What is the point of using "solvent free" silicone ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mactatty

I can't find anyone who can tell me, including the technical guy at Mapei. I've heard that Solvent free may not shrink like other silicones with solvents, but Mapei still shrinks by 3% (their figure). Another tech guy at a silicone manufacturer says that it doesn't have an odour, but this is the same as other non-acetic silicones, whether with solvents or not.
It's important as "solvent free" means "expensive", and I'd like to know if it's worth the money.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Solvents generally are f concern in the construction industry. They are a serious health and safety concern. They are also an environmental concern with high voc content and disposal issues. You might not think that your ne or two tubes a week make a difference but add them to the several million tubes used per day and you have a serious problem.

solvent based products do not generally perform any better so why use them.

Epoxys are a massive concern in the flooring industry at the moment fr the same reasons.

M

mactatty

There's nothing in the Safety Data Sheets about solvents, and nothing to suggest that they are hazardous in any way. The Mapesil solvent free silicones still contain "hazardous components". I don't think it is easy at all to decide what the advantage of solvent free is. Water is a solvent.....maybe the silicone ones are as harmless too.
As Mapesil (£6) is 3 times the price of the cheaper ones like NonNonsense (£2) , and there is no performance difference that I can see, I don't see any point in going for Mapesil.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Are you sure ou are talking about solvent based silicone. I just looked up solvents used in silicone sealants in my safety guide and they contain such nasties as acetone and ethyl methyl ketone which at best will kill a few brain cells and at worst will kill a few people. EMK is also capable of making you sterile..... If the data sheet does not say owt about hazardous chemicals I would suggest it is actually solvent free.......

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What is the point of using "solvent free" silicone ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S
T
Hello again, Have used mapegum and mapeband over plaster lwith the all in tub kit that contains...
Replies
Views
tom1976
T
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.