Discuss What is this? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys.
Can you tell me why I have a 10-14 mm layer of bitumen like layer on the floor?

Some is blown and will be taken out...
Do I have to take it all out and SLC the rest of the floor to compensate for this 10-14mm drop?

Thanks in advance
teruhuqy.jpg
7egyne6u.jpg
eby7ebun.jpg
aguguqu6.jpg

If it's all the way through in that room, and possibly others on the ground floor then I'd probably be inclined to leave the good stuff it where it is, and patch repair where necessary. What SLC do you normally use?

It is only in this room as a lot of houses In my area had some concrete floors and rest wooden(suspended) beamed.
I normally use tile master flexi level as it covers everything including wooden flooring.
On occasion I use weber floor flex.

Looking at picture 2-3 The bitumen is under the marly-tiles and it seems very thick indeed , so perhaps its some attempt to damp-proof the floor just before laying the marly-tiles......

H dave.
Marley tiles onto bitumen layer at 10/14 mm onto concrete slab.

We used to damp-proof all ground floor floors like that before screeding, the roofing guys used to do it, boiled tar and a mop all over the oversight then we used to screed, if you break through it make sure you re-damproof or you will get damp.......

It is just floating there, it's got to come up as it's not bonded onto the screed.
How would you damp proof this?
je4yjaty.jpg

yes take it out then make-up with self-leveller . i would have a look under the screed in at least one place to make sure it has a dpm , if not you are going to have to take the screed up and put one in then just re-screed in place of leveller......

Spoken to specification manager at Cemex.
Prime 2 different coats like anhydrite too seal it.
Was their advice.

nurysu9e.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What is this? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB