Guest viewing is limited

Discuss What Toothsize Trowel Do I Need For Solid 5mm Bed? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rogeranerley

The aquapanel / plasterboard walls of my new shower room are close to vertical. So, to make the bedding easier, my idea has been to use small 10 x 10 mm pieces of 5mm thick plastic cut from glazing packers close to each corner, which would ensure that the tiles would be vertical to the underlying wall.

The reason for 5mm is that my 75mm border marble inserts are 10mm in depth whereas the bulk of the tiles are 8.5mm. Given that the adhesive manufacturer specifies a bed minimum of 3mm, 5mm seemed the right depth to ensure the smooth finish needed to accommodate the angle trims around the window area.

I've experimented with a square notched 8mm trowel and with a half round one having notches 10mm deep by 18mm across at 10mm spaces, but, when applying the tile with the 5mm spacers in place, I'm not getting the expected 5mm solid bed needed for the wet area. The only way so far is by also buttering the back of the 250 x 500mm tiles.

Is there another trowel size that will result in a 5mm solid bed?

Thanks

Reply to What Toothsize Trowel Do I Need For Solid 5mm Bed? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond