Discuss What Type Of Company Are You? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
Well I must admit we have managed to make a loss for the last 6 years, which means no tax. But the accountancy loss is down to me buying a decent van, and it losing value. We have not actually lost a penny. So, yes, its a great tax relief situation, but I have to budget about £100/month for the cost of accountancy. And I still have to do most of the paperwork!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Well I must admit we have managed to make a loss for the last 6 years, which means no tax. But the accountancy loss is down to me buying a decent van, and it losing value. We have not actually lost a penny. So, yes, its a great tax relief situation, but I have to budget about £100/month for the cost of accountancy. And I still have to do most of the paperwork!
Do you pay yourself a wage?

C

Concrete guy

Limited Company for a number of reasons.

It's a very tax efficient way to draw income.
Limits liability if something catastrophic occurs.
When more than one person is involved in the company it's a better way of handling it.
Our larger customers would expect to deal with a Limited Company. (we have one very large customer who wouldn't deal with us if we weren't limited.
Our accountancy costs are saved multiple times over and I've never seen it cost any more than being a sole trader - but I do most of the book keeping and VAT returns, our accountant checks what I do, gives us advice and makes all the submissions for us.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Limited Company for a number of reasons.

It's a very tax efficient way to draw income.
Limits liability if something catastrophic occurs.
When more than one person is involved in the company it's a better way of handling it.
Our larger customers would expect to deal with a Limited Company. (we have one very large customer who wouldn't deal with us if we weren't limited.
Our accountancy costs are saved multiple times over and I've never seen it cost any more than being a sole trader - but I do most of the book keeping and VAT returns, our accountant checks what I do, gives us advice and makes all the submissions for us.
Why wouldn't a company deal with you if you were not limited? That seems a bit archaic.
I've had plenty of cash off blue-chips and it's never been questioned. I'm Ltd now but even when I was sole trader I dealt with them.

Not grilling you here, just wondering what their reasoning was.

C

Concrete guy

Why wouldn't a company deal with you if you were not limited? That seems a bit archaic.
I've had plenty of cash off blue-chips and it's never been questioned. I'm Ltd now but even when I was sole trader I dealt with them.

Not grilling you here, just wondering what their reasoning was.

It's a big UK company, currently FTSE250 but knocking on the door of FTSE100.

Fortunately for us they are very ethical in the way they do business, no Tesco syndrome at all, but they like things done a certain way which is fair enough. We are supplying a lot of product though, this isn't a small contract.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It's a big UK company, currently FTSE250 but knocking on the door of FTSE100.

Fortunately for us they are very ethical in the way they do business, no Tesco syndrome at all, but they like things done a certain way which is fair enough. We are supplying a lot of product though, this isn't a small contract.
Did they ever give an actual reason? Or just say 'we only deal with Ltd companies' type thing?

I've dealt with Travis Perkins for years, FTSE100. And my biggest client is Google, in some sense. Perhaps not taking the money off them that you take off your one mind. But nobody's ever questioned whether I'm Ltd or what. Never had a credit check done either. Yet that's meant to happen quite a bit I think.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What Type Of Company Are You? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
This is the Plumbers Forums is now Plumbers Talk Discussion Thread As always; a simple ‘logo’...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB