UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss what we are worth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

swanman

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post on what happened to me today

I phoned an agency today because they were looking for tilers.I spoke to a lady for more details

She said its wall and floor tiling for social housing so its quite easy work

The rates were *****per hour so i asked the lady why the hourly rate was so low she said because tilers are not classed as a skilled trade

I dont no about anyone else but i thought this was a bit of an insult to say the least.

Why is our trade so under estimated any thoughts

B

Billy Hunt

That's crap that is,she doesn't know what she's talking about,I did that type of work a couple of years ago up here in Notts and we where getting £13 an hour which is still crap when you take out your tax/fuel and the fact they only do about 7 hrs on site.

Think she is trying to talk it down so some mug will believe her and work for a wage that is little more than nmw.

You can get more at Tesco's FFS.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
A mate of mine is a plasterer, done it for 30 yrs, can do 120sqm + a day on new build but didn't serve an apprenticeship. When work was slow he went to an agency but because he had no formal qualifications they wouldn't even speak to him. He spends half his time going round sites reskimming work done by 'plasterers' that have been on a 5 day course and can make a pot of tea!!!!

Mind you, that's only putting stuff on a wall or ceiling.

Every trade has to know what they are doing otherwise it all falls to pieces and people don't learn a trade overnight.

I wonder what skills the receptionist had - "Well I can pick the phone up and speak at the same time"

Last edited:

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what we are worth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.