UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss what would be best. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dylan_30

Hi all, I have a bathroom conversion going on. At present I have 18mm chipboard (green) on what I believe is a floating floor.
Now I have already made the decision to tile on my floor and in doing so Im going to remove the old chipboard as it has got wet.
What I want to know is am I better to put chipboard back in and then use a 6mm backboard panel like no more ply,hardibacker or aquapanel.
or would you suggest something else.
I know this has probably been asked 20 times but to get this computer of my wife and search is nigh on impossible.
thanks for any suggestions
dylan

R

Rich

I would recommend removing the chipboard and strengthen the floor by adding noggins to the joists while you have the floor up. Replace with min 15mm WBP ply (the thicker the better), use as few sheets as possible, leave 2-3mm between each sheet and the sheets should be staggered. Also seal the underside and sides of the sheets but no the top surface. Screw the ply down to the joists at a min of 300mm centers (the better screwed the ply, the better the floor). Then over the top of this over board using a cement board, glued and screwed down. This will give you a brilliant floor to tile onto. The most important thing to remember is to make the floor as solid as possiblt and remove any deflection BEFORE you lay the cement boards.

The link below might give a bit more info :thumbsup:

[h=3]Plywood floors...[/h]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what would be best. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I'm getting some repair work done in a bathroom covered by my home insurance, they are picking...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.