UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss what would H&S make of this?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

i found this picture that i bought from ikea years ago on the internet today.
workers eating their lunch 800ft above the contruction of the RCA building, rockefeller center, usa.

Health and safety would go mental!! not one of the wearing a high viz jacket????

ps, i'm sure the fella on the far right is a very young tj ;0)
brave men back then hey!!

workers.jpg

S

SandyFloor

No chance in hell for getting me up there. My dad was a tower Crane driver, I went up a 200ft (baby) and almost cried, couldn't believe how much they move around, they blow in the wind. The tallest he operated was over 900ft when the Crane next to his fell over. He must have been mad as he was back up the Crane the next day!!

I've been up one too and I couldn't deal with the movement either. It's been the same with cherrypickers. If they move me no likey.

My first summer job as a teenager was working with steel erectors and walking along beam flanges of 5 or 6" wide 40ft off the ground was normal and I was doing it myself after a while. As I was young I went with the flow to avoid the ribbing if I didn't do it. I all seems crazy when I think about it now in that one gust of wind or a slight trip would have killed me.

Some of the guys did it carrying small steel beams or oxygen bottles over their shoulders ....I didn't do that.

U

user123

Heights are horrible, and looking at that photo makes me feel all queasy and to think, these men had wifes and mothers and children and friends, and them knowing they work up there, I mean I would just be fretting all the time, worrying about him! I have done quite a bit of rockclimbing and abseiling in the past, and then the height is ok, because you know you're fixed to a rope that can take 2 tons and I never climbed first, so any fall just meant dangling quite comfortably in that harness and just scrabbling back to the rock face, but without that, pscychologically, I can get tense just standing on top of the stairs! These guys were so brave, weren't they. Miners, too, climbing into the black bowels of the earth, uurgh..

E

enduro

workers eating their lunch 800ft above the contruction of the RCA building, rockefeller center, usa.

Health and safety would go mental!! not one of the wearing a high viz jacket????

View attachment 32412
I have this picture on a wall in my house, people always look at it.

J

jay

View attachment 32412

Silly part is they had less accidents back then and no one even knew what it meant to sue

W

White Room

View attachment 32412

That makes me feel queasy looking at it..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what would H&S make of this?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.