Currently reading:
What would you do about this one. Electrical Advice

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss What would you do about this one. Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

What would you do about this one. Discussion ThreadWhat would you do about this one. Electrical Advice

Client (local authority) want the consumer unit upgrading from a plastic one to the latest spec. I have also done a bit of repair work in the kitchen so it can be plastered. This is how the power gets from the street to the consumer unit.

firstly TNS with a looped supply into meter and isolator in a cupboard by the front door.

IMG_20240702_093318_238.jpg

IMG_20240702_093026_784.jpg

But out of the isolator it goes to a length of two core pyro with a bonding clamp on it for the earth. The pyro runs along the skirting board, under the bootom stair tread to the cupboard under the stairs where it feeds another cut out fuse with another bonding clamp on the other end of it.

IMG_20240702_093108_749.jpg

The tails from the henley block go to the consumer unit which is on the other side of the wall to the henleys. The property was re-wired in 2016 with a dual RCD MEM plastic board. I can't work out whats gone on with it, looking at the wooden board to the right of the henleys it looks like the meter/fuse box used to be there at one point and its been moved to the front door but the supply cable at the front door looks as old as the hills anyway, house was built in about 1920 judging by the penny we found under the floorboards. So if the electric board have moved the meter at some point, who owns the pyro?

I know you cant use a bonding clamp as a main earth terminal but I've seen it done so many times on incomers, so what to do, insist I replace it with a piece of SWA along with a fused isolator, but there isn't any more room in the cupboard, run a separate 16mm earth. Plus the pyro ends are single insulated and there isn't a gland on either end of the pyro but I'll bet the entire street is done the same way. I know from experience that the councils send a bod round afterwards and their job is to make installers life as much of a misery as they can by inspecting everything with a microscope.

What would you do about this one. for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to What would you do about this one. Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
Cable sizing earthing conductor Discussion ThreadCable sizing earthing conductor Electrical Advice Hi all, Hope you're keeping well I'm currently wiring a small commercial premises. 3 phas...
Replies
Views
  • Article
What is under this lid? Discussion ThreadWhat is under this lid? Electrical Advice I am thinking of having an air source heat pump installed on the concrete path in front of the blue wood-clad...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Inspection - Basic fault coding questions Discussion ThreadInspection - Basic fault coding questions Electrical Advice I have to re-sit 2391 photo coding assessment (having passed the rest), and...
Replies
Views
  • Article
individual RCBOs or a main breaker RCBO? and what trip level 10mA or 30mA Discussion Threadindividual RCBOs or a main breaker RCBO? and what trip level 10mA or 30mA Electrical Advice I have the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Discussion ThreadSub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling Electrical Advice I am a retired electrician doing a home rewire. I'm taking...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.