Currently reading:
What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Electrical Advice

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Discussion ThreadWhat's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Electrical Advice

What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install?

I present my nomination, the ML Accessories/Knightsbridge RWL5 wall-mounted LED guide light

This nice-looking wall light has a low profile, is IP54 rated, and looks quite neat in "anthracite" colour. It's also about the right shape and size to cover over a hole where a small brick light used to be. I have no issue with any of the other ML/Knightbridge products I've installed - their downlights (integrated and GU10) are usually my go-to products.

This particular product, though, is awful to install.

If this post sounds over-whingy, then apologies. At the end of the day I just got on with it, and got the job done. But gosh.....

20211005_151917_resized.jpg

Let's start with the rubber grommet. It's tiny. Fine for 0.75mm H05RN-F, 1mm H07RN-F is really, really hard to get through.

So, you have to attach the plastic back plate to the wall, threading the cable through the (non-sealed) hole. So far, so good.

You have to remove the internal back plate using 4 tiny screws that would not be out of place inside a Rolex. Two of them have teeny tiny rubber washers, two don't. You pass your cable through the grommet (if you can). There is no space at all inside what will be the weather-proof internal enclosure for any excess cable - it must go straight into the screw connector, soldered directly to the PCB. Try not to snap this off, as you tighten the terminals with your jewel screwdriver. If you're thinking of using T&E, no can do... you need a tiny bit of flexibility to get the PCB into position into some internal slots, then screw the back on.

The PCB slots into the main part of the outer enclosure... but wait, don't forget the flimsy rubber gasket, which sticks neither to the lid, nor the larger bit it's sealing against. You screw the lid to the enclosure using those 4 tiny screws (you remember which two have the rubber washers on, right?).

So there is no slack whatsoever between the rubber grommet and the...

Read more

What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to What's the most badly designed accessory you've had to install? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.