UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss When to say No ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

At what point do you say no to doing a job ?
My problem here is this, I get called in to quote a job, a kitchen floor, (680x450mmm porcelain) and splashback around the units with mosaic.

A price was given and accepted. I then asked how long the Gyvlon floor had been laid ...after a blank look re "Gyvlon" it was laid 3 months ago maybe more. Various questions regarding the same were asked and some answers given.
I explained the procedure re sanding floor and hoovering etc and much nodding was given from the client. I also explained that I would need the room empty as in one corner was a leather suite, One washing machine in place, One dryer in place, One american style fridge/freezer in place and One range style cooker in place. These would be removed says client.

The 1st thing I noticed when walking into the room was the window cill. On it was a sheet of the mosaic..but it wasnt the mosaic that concerned me. Something was out of level. I didnt have a level with me at this time but I held the sheet of mosaic on the right hand side of the window between the worktop and cill edge. It happened to work full piece. I tried the other end and there was the problem......a 15mm difference !!!
i got my level and expecting to find the cill out I checked. It was a combination of the worktop running one way and the cill running out the other. I explained to client, client called builder, builder tells client I moan too much but he will sort it out.
The units in the centre of the kitchen forming an Island also looked odd.....as I measure the gap between the island and main worktop along a long wall , I found this to be out of square by 15mm. The client agreed that when the floor was tiled then it would become even more obvious . It was agreed that the Island would come out ( it was screwed in place) and fitted onto the tiles at a later date.

They had fitted all the skirting before tiling but the client wanted them removed and replaced after the floor was tiled, I agreed this was the best option. As I was looking around the room I noticed that the architraves had been fitted before the screed had been poured !!!!

So with all these issues out the way I made a start the following Monday.
All the appliances and Leather suite were still in the room. No attempt had been made to move them.
The window cill had been removed on one side and then left, no attempt to level up the worktops had been made.

Firstly the Hygrometer was situated and left to acclimatise . I continued cutting the architraves off and then sand the floor.
After a while ( 3hours ish) the Hygrometer was switched on and a reading of 86% RH was given. I hoped this would drop as the day wore on. It did indeed and dropped to 83% by the time I left site. i was all ready to get laying Tuesday ( today ) but I wasn't expecting the Hygrometer to read 94% RH when I arrived this morning.
I have called the client and I guess he isn't having a good day either as "words" were exchanged and it wasn't pleasant ! Phrases like "cant you just do it" and "No other tiler made any comments", " I need to move in"....I explained why I could tile the floor in this condition and was met with the old " Just do it and if there are problems later I will deal with it then"... I explained that "If" there were any problems his first call would be to me and he would be demanding I sort it out. ....Now the thought of lifting 45m2 of porcelain, replacing the tiles and labour , the removal of plinths etc sound very expensive to me.
All the client is thinking about is moving in and he just wont listen to anything I either say or refer him to...ie the data sheet of N&C Gypfix or any details of Anhydrite screeds.

So the outcome is , I return to site tomorrow while he is there and take plenty of printed material. Tell him that I will only do it when it is ready.
With no heating in the house , I cant see it drying for a good while yet.

G

Gazzer

Dave these are Digital Hygrometers from Ball. I have been unable to get a "Hair Hygrometer" I believe somewhere on here Ajax said this type was fine.

At the end of the day I have to rely on it to give a good reading, no point just guessing.
Yes sealed to the floor with the supplied putty.

Attachments

• hygr.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 46
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to When to say No ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.