Discuss Where to compromise? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Batt284

Hi All,

Another one from me I am afraid! I am planning to tile in a brick bond format and it looks like there is going to be a small cut in quite a prominant position. I felt it would be best to lay the border just below the window so that it would be unbroken all the way around. However, plotting where the border would be positioned all the way around the room (red lines in the picture) reveals that the tile below the border is going to slightly (38mm) overlap the raised box at the end of the bath that conceals the pipework.

If I was to maintain the same horizontal grout line all the way around I would be left with a 38mm cut at the top of this box (shaded in orange). Do you thing this would look acceptable? If not do you think a different layout (i.e. not brick bond) would be acceptable on the box? As ever any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
IMG_0433.jpg

G

garretridge

The problem with lifting the border would be I would have to raise it 2 tiles off the boxing which would be pretty high. I would also be left with a slither (about 36mm) under the window - if I tiled a full tile off the boxing.

Do you guys think that tiling the boxing in a different pattern and not following the grout line around from the bath wall is a definite "no no".

i would keep it all uniform tile it same pattern if you dont want to raise the border then stick with a small cut at the boxing it will look ok!:thumbsup:

Somerset
Hi All,

If I was to maintain the same horizontal grout line all the way around I would be left with a 38mm cut at the top of this box (shaded in orange). Do you thing this would look acceptable? If not do you think a different layout (i.e. not brick bond) would be acceptable on the box? As ever any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
View attachment 20358

Ben - What is acceptable is not our opinion, but yours (or if there is a "significant other" - theirs).

Whenever I am tiling and there needs to be a compromise - I show the customer and let them choose. If necessary, you could even stick a few tiles with some tubbed addy to see how it looks - they will easily pull off within 24 hrs. So decide what different options you have and what compromise you are prepeared to accept, then do that.

If it helps - remember that whilst you may have a particular feature in mind (i.e.border can only be below window) then you will almost certainly have to accept some compromises to achieve that; however if you are flexible and prepared to compromise on your initial idea then you may find a fixing method that avoids small cuts, and provides an even finish. It is also worth marking the centre points of your window, and setting your tiles out evenly from those centre points - incorporating your feature to fit that.

Either way, take your time before making a final decision - then go for it! Good luck.

Andy

T

trevortine

Nine times out of ten they are just made out of cls , 2x2 or similar with plasterboard on top. Just get your levels right and cut down to size, you may have to drill into wall and plug it to fix batten on for top but once you trim down you will see how its been put together. Usually i find they have been rattled up squint and out of plumb which is why i like to redo!
How do you go about it guys?

Reply to Where to compromise? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I am about to lay my patio, 60x60cm porcelain tiles. I have just checked on where...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Where to compromise?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.