Discuss where to tile up to in shower cubicle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mwebber.82

Hi,

I'm tackling my first shower cubicle (having done my kitchen earlier this year)...

The wall is tanked and I'll fit the shower tray at the weekend (once I've worked out how to level it!). I'm now trying to work out how far along the wall should tile in terms of then fixing the doors to the wall. Do I have to tile beyond the edge of the tray so that the doors can be fixed a centimetre or two into the tile, or is it OK to fix the the door to the wall and then tile up to the of the door?

Althought I've never really thought about what the 'norm' is, I think I'd prefer the look of keeping the tiles within the shower cubicle itself. The door is held against the wall by a metal bracket that runs the full height of the door - this would hide the edge of the tiles so it won't look bad through the glass (i.e. you won't be able to see the edge of the tiles).

I could then run a bead of silicone down the height of the door unit to seal between the door and the tiles.

Is there any reason not to do it this way? i.e. is there any reason to extend the tiles beyond the shower tray and then fix the door to the wall by drilling carefully through the tiles? I'd be interested in hearing your opinion not only in terms of what works best, but also in terms of what tends to look best!

Many thanks!

I

Ian

Thanks guys

Regarding finishing the tiles and trim flush with the enclosure, will this not cause problems in terms of drilling through the tiles so close to their edge?

So long as you've used the correct adhesive, it won't make any difference where you drill the tile, the holes for the screws in the profile should be a good 25mm in anyway, some even further in than that.

J

jolly fix

Another reason to fix to tiles is that the u channel (bracket) that the door/screen fits into has some adjustment for out of plumb/level etc,if U channel fitted to wall rather than tiles then you lose this due to tile +addy thickness.when you come to screw the self tap screws into the U channel to secure door/screen good chance there will be nothing to screw to due to it not being far enough into U channel

Reply to where to tile up to in shower cubicle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for solid answer or opinion. We had some windows removed on an exterior wall and...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
where to tile up to in shower cubicle
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.