UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Which adhesive and grout should I use for tiles over UFH??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Strawberry57

oh okay. The UFH is Polypipe (overlay). There is no requirement for ply over the overlay, it is solid enough to lay tiles directly onto but my Polypipe installer recommended a thin ply to protect the UFH should we wish to change the floor tiles in the future.
We are ready to lay the tiles and I am buying adhesive and grout tomorrow. I know it needs to be a flexible adhesive but that's about it. Are they all the same??? Is coloured grout okay???
Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure I purchase the most effective adhesive and grout :)

B

bugs183

I really am not a fan of these systems at all for tiling. They promise everything but are very flawed, awful advise given by the technical departments about methods of tiling them.
If i was going to tile it (and i would be reluctant) i would insist on laying the thermal boards that hold the pipes to the floor with flexible tile adhesive and screwing at minimum 200mm centres. Then i'd pour levelling over the whole floor to bond everything together, and then lay ditra Mat on top then tile. Minimum.
Do away with the 6mm plywood, it's a waste of time and WILL fail, the only reason you'll be wanting to replace the tiles is because if you tile on to 6mm ply loose laid on this system is because it will crack everywhere.
These systems move around way to much, one manufacturer says you can loose lay 6mm ply straight on top and tile this, no no no!
If any of these boards are moving you will have problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditra is a uncoupling matt made by Schluter giving you stress relief ,please listen to advice given on here,after all experience does count for a lot. SHDITRA1M.jpg

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which adhesive and grout should I use for tiles over UFH??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.