Discuss Which adhesive for Shower/Bathroom area in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

wolfwiser

Hi, first post so be gentle!

I've had a look about but can't seem to find an answer - I'm about to tile my bathroom. I'm using 415 x 300 mm wall tiles and 300 x 300 mm floor tiles. I've decided its well worth spending the money and getting BAL (or Mapei) powdered tile adhesive, and probably jasmine powdered grout. I shall be staggering the tiles

The question is which BAL products should I use?? I'm a bit confused with all that's on offer. I realise I need flexible floor adhesive.

Is 2 mm spacers for wall and 3-5mm for the floor common?

Where is the best place (shop) to buy said products (tile giant, Topps etc.)

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

:thumbsup:

W

wolfwiser

Thanks guys, I have a tile giant very close by! I guess its an 8mm trowel I need, would this suffice for the floor also or am I mistaken? I shall be also running a mosaic band all round the bathroom, do I need differing adhesive/grout for this too?

I'm tiling onto aquapanel around the shower area and standard plasterboard in the 'dry' areas. I believe I need to treat the plasterboard prior to tiling, any recommendations? Also, I may be in the wrong place for this question, so apologies in advance - Do I need to 'tank' the aquapanel gaps between boards? I've read differing thoughts, I can always head back to the DIY forums for that one!

Thanks for the quick responses, I like it hear - I feel welcome!!

R

Rich

8mm should be fine for the walls but not the floor, get yourself a half moon trowel. You need to try to get 100% coverage of adhesive under the tiles and these trowels make it easier to do that. Also spread some adhesive onto the back of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel before pressing the tiles into the adhesive bed.

You shouldn't need to tank the aqua panel but it would do any harm if the budget allows.

R

Rich

Need some keraquick white 20kg bag anytime now so ringing Tile Giant I was quoted £41.99:yikes:
An independant locally quoted £27.48 so it pays to ring round.
I'm assuming you pros get a good discount by setting up an account but the wouldn't budge on price for me.

There are some good discounts available through this forum if you use it enough to gain TF arms/truster advisor status but yes, they are more likely to give better discounts, the more money that you put through them.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which adhesive for Shower/Bathroom area in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB