UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Which one first? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

R-Jeffery

Hi,

Very quick question, in the process of fitting a new shower enclosure.

Do I need to board to the floor and then fit the tray or fit the shower tray first and board onto the tray?

Tray is 800 x 800m and has a lip to it. As detailed in picture below. My worry is if I fit the tray first, will I have issues fitting the shower enclosure?

photo.jpg

B

bugs183

Can depend on how thick the lip is. Sometimes to tile over the lip can kick the bottom of the tile out. I also don't like the idea of the transition from the boarded wall to the tray, in my view it would stress the tile and adhesive at that point.
Ideally you'd fit the shower base, board over and tile that way any water is enclosed, but if the shower screen won't allow it then that can't be done.
To be fair, i've seen these done all kindsa ways and none seem ideal.
Showers could do with a nice thin flexible upstand, but not a thick as this.

R

R-Jeffery

Morning All,

Thanks for the quick responses.

Whitebeam - The shower tray is the original that was already in our apartment when we bought it a couple of years ago so I dont have instuctions with it i'm afraid. The previous installation was tray first, then boarded down the to the lip but we have had to replace all of the tiles, boarding etc due to water damage over time.

Aligage - The upstand is round the whole of the tray - Internal measurement from upstand to lip is 50mm. The enclosure is arriving tomorrow so I dont have the full instructions for it yet but on the website it says the following - (40mm out of wall adjustment for ease of fitting to ensure water tight seal)

If I install the tray first and then tank would taping from the board down to the tray be a suitable waterproof solution. It doesnt sound ideal.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ooops, apologies AliGage.

Measurement on the inside of the tray is 790mm x 790mm.

FYI - moistureboard is 15mm

You've got no issue with your enclosure from what you've said. If the internal measurement is 790mm. I think you said you have 40mm adjustment for untrue walls? Presuming 800 enclosure it will be 20mm either side. 790 falls perfectly within this. What i would do is chop the tray into the wall so the inside of the lip is flush or just under the face of the board. I use a works multitool to do the cut out, trying to leave a good surface on the remains of the board. Apply your waterproof coating, once dry 2 parallell beads of silicone (I prefer to use CT1 as well as a sealant it has far better bonding strength than sanitary silicone) and push the tray into place. With the inner lip flush to the wall it leaves 790 to the adjacent corner, ample room for your bi-fold door.

That's how i'd do it anyway. Continue the rest of prep and tile.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've seen them fitted all sorts of ways and differing instructions from different manufacturers. No idea how it was intended by design to be installed. I just prefer cutting them in. Just peace of mind that the lip won't cause any tiling issues. I think orginally it may have been designed to fit flush to the wall and lead your 6" biscuits straight off the lip. I've seen them installed this way quite a few times as well, and instruction showing this way.
Ultimately as long as the base is level, well supported, and sealled correctly all should be good.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which one first? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m fitting a Nova Frameless 1000 x 800 Sliding Door Shower Enclosure with a low profile...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m just about to renovate small bathroom and replace bath with shower. We have very hard...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.