Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Which Rubi manual cutter is my best bet? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

P

peegee tips

Hi all,
Stuck on which manual cutter to purchase.
I've read that a lot of you guys have a couple of cutters each.....is this the norm? I have the rest of my kit, but am confuzzled with this.
Not sure whether to get a decent model like a tx700n , a smaller model or both?
Would i struggle with smaller tiles on the 700?
Is it best to have a larger more powerful cutter for harder materials & a smaller more versatile cutter for ceramics?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Paul.

S

sWe

If you're on a budget, ie just starting out, I'd recommend getting a larger cutter which can handle anything you're likely to throw at it.

If you do have the money, I'd suggest you get one which can handle most of the smaller common sizes, ie up to 30-40cm or so, and one which can atleast handle 60x60. I don't know how common tiles larger than that are in the UK, but you can always expand your arsenal when need arises.

The point with having cutters for different sizes is comfort. It's a pain lugging a 9kg cutter which literally takes up half the floor, when a 3kg cutter can do the job.

Here's a mail convo between me and a guy on these forums who asked me which size cutter I thought he should get for smaller tiles:

His question:
if you were me , then what minipiuma would you go for. i have and love the masterpiuma 63 but i was looking for a small cutter for slash backs and quarry tiles etc, so should i just go for the 26 or go the extra for the 43?? i though the 26 piuma (33cm) would be enough and then i though ahh what about going the extra for 300x300 on diagonals, then i thought again, i could simply use the big monti for that and then my head exploded, so come on my swedish internet buddy, what should i do...

My reply:
I'd go for the 26 if I were you. Most of the floors I do are with 33x33 at the most, and they're almost always regular grid patterns with the occasional border. If the tiles aren't 30x30, 33x33, or smaller, there' almost always in the sixties, and the 43 won't fit those. The whole point of having a small cutter is that it doesn't take up half the floor, and that it's easy to work with. If you do alot of 30x30 diagonals, then by all means, get the 43, but otherwise, get the 26.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I used to have the TS-40 and it served the job just fine in most cases. Though that was when tiling was at the most 30x30cm (probably well above average for walls, and the max for even most floors). I think now I'd choose a slightly bigger length, and go for the plus, as the tiles now that are chosen by the customer (imported and made available to the customer more like) are tougher and bigger.

As a result, an investment in a Rubi TS 50, and a decent Tile Drill Bit wouldn't go amiss.

Hi all,
I've read that a lot of you guys have a couple of cutters each.....is this the norm? I have the rest of my kit, but am confuzzled with this.
Is it best to have a larger more powerful cutter for harder materials & a smaller more versatile cutter for ceramics?
Paul.
hi paul.....i would go for a rubi ts40 as your workhorse cutter although tiles seem to be getting bigger so a ts70 would be a good buy too......but i find that using a large cutter for smaller tiles is slower.....unless your an orangutan..........i also have wet cutters and a tx900 but it all depends on what tiling projects you undertake

D

doug boardley

Hi all,
Paul.
my main cutter is tx700n (rubi) got rid of my ts60, didn,t like it one bit, my ts 40 is ideal for kitchens, for taking thin slices off tiles i use my dw200lps rather than nibblers, but i now need to add a tx1200n to my arsenal. this may seem like a lot of cutters, but the main of my work is site work where i have room to set up without getting crammed.Overall I'd say thetx700n is an absolute belter,and you'll always be able to sell it after you've finished your project
bonny tiler

Reply to Which Rubi manual cutter is my best bet? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Peeps, I'm new to this site but been in the game a looooong time :) Looking to purchase a new...
Replies
Views
Welcome to the Which Tile Cutter is Best? Thread I'm tidying up the forum a little bit, and in...
Replies
Views
Good Morning,new member here, been in the game 25 years, but never too old to learn stuff. I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, been a keen reader of the forum for a few weeks now. Getting ready for a DIY bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I come from Taiwan and got a 60x120x1.2 floor tile job. But i only have Rubi DU-200L, so...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Which Rubi manual cutter is my best bet?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • BAL

Votes: 27 31.0%