UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Which Substrate to use please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cr0ft

Hi all. Been a while since I posted on here. I now subcontract all the tiling in our bathrooms to a full-time tiler (I do the plumbing only now, my trade). My customer has bought some 9mm thick ceramic tiles (440x300mm). The plasterer is coming in to fix up the solid walls on Monday. The tiler has asked him to use hardwall as the substrate. I have my doubts about this. I would prefer a sand/cement render instead as I don't think hardwall is up to holding the weight.

Can anyone please give me advice either way? The job is for a friend of a friend so I want it done properly of course. I don't want to board the walls as you lose a lot of space doing this and it will be a major pain.

I need to know if this substrate choice is right by the end of tomorrow please, so I can advise the plasterer accordingly prior to Monday.

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

C

charlie1

Hi Cr0ft

If space is no ussue then I would agree with your tiler and install either plasterboard or aqua panel if its a shower area, this will give your tiler a straighter / stronger substrate to tile on to! Personally , if it was me, as a tiler i would insist on prepping the area myself. I can understand the tilers recomendations to your plasterer given he has just started working with your team.

Also, if you plaster the walls then they will need about 4 weeks to dry out prior to tiling.

C

cr0ft

Hi Cr0ft

If space is no ussue then I would agree with your tiler and install either plasterboard or aqua panel if its a shower area, this will give your tiler a straighter / stronger substrate to tile on to! Personally , if it was me, as a tiler i would insist on prepping the area myself. I can understand the tilers recomendations to your plasterer given he has just started working with your team.

Also, if you plaster the walls then they will need about 4 weeks to dry out prior to tiling.

The plasterer is going to rough up the hardwall to provide a key for tiling. Is the hardwall stuff the same weight limit as skim and set? I.E 28kg/sq m?

A

Aston

hi croft,
when you say the plasterer is going to 'rough' up the surface to provide a key for the tiling , then that says to me that he isnt going to skim it? you shouldnt tile directly onto hardwall.. it will be too porous when its dried and it will suck the life out of your adhesive. it will need to be skimmed, alllowed to dry for a suitable period, then the walls should be primed with the adhesive manufactures choice of primer or sbr. dont let the plasterer fob you off regarding this. if the plasterer doenst tile professionally, then he wont be fully aware of the problems that can occure!!

ps you should skim hardwall the same day as you apply it, normally within 2-4 hours so it will all set and bond together.

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which Substrate to use please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.