Discuss Which tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

andye31

hi

I want to do a tiling course and then to work self employed after.
A friend of mine who's a very experienced plumber can throw alot of work my way when im up to scratch.

Im looking at either chase tiling academy or construction skills college.
Im from Birmingham and i think these are closest.

Which one would you recommend, and seriously how good can you be after 2 weeks training? I know at chase they teach you to set up your own business aswell, but after 2 weeks intensive training is this possible? I know practice makes perfect in anything, and ive read on here that doing a few freebies to friends and family will get your practice up.

i look forward to any feedback

thanks

andy

C

cobra

hi im in the the same boat as u, not sure which one to go for, i live in wolverhampton so construction skills are a bit closer, but im looking at the one week course as i think the 2 week course seems just like the one week course but just stretched out. i dont think these courses will make u a tiler but will give u the underpinning knowledge and then u just have to practice at home or do jobs for family and friends for basically free to improve skills and speed. I did tile my own bathroom with mixed results but learned tiling is alot harder than it looks ie tiles not level in places etc. would also like feedback on the above training providers.

thanks in advance
cobra

A

andye31

hi im in the the same boat as u, not sure which one to go for, i live in wolverhampton so construction skills are a bit closer, but im looking at the one week course as i think the 2 week course seems just like the one week course but just stretched out. i dont think these courses will make u a tiler but will give u the underpinning knowledge and then u just have to practice at home or do jobs for family and friends for basically free to improve skills and speed. I did tile my own bathroom with mixed results but learned tiling is alot harder than it looks ie tiles not level in places etc. would also like feedback on the above training providers.

thanks in advance
cobra

I did 2 week course at construction skills college mate.

Really you need the 2 week course. 2 weeks was just about enough to show the basics of floor and wall tiling. They dont cram it all into 1 week.

Im now working with an experienced tiler since i passed to gain experience. Im gonna generate my own work aswell when i've had bit more practice.

They show you so much in the 2 week course and only after the first week did i start to get more confident in what i was doing and how to go about things. So bear that in mind.

Howard at construction skills was a great tutor though, so if you're still thinking of taking the course make sure you get Howard as your tutor when you ring up.

good luck mate.

P.S Just layed my first floor, well chuffed

M

markyj29

hi really in the same boat im thinking of doing a course and want to be self employed also but im from essex so for me the STC looks preety good and there is also OLCI which i have seen mixed reviews about but hoping to do the 4 tiling course because i think if your gonna be self employed you might aswell get as much pratical as you can as this will make you better at what you wanna do and could potentially get you your customers....any1 have any more advice on these 2 companys or schools or any1 know of any other academys in the essex area...would be much appreciated cheers

A

andye31

hi
i have been looking at doing the 2 week course with constuction skills it souns great. i would just like to ask what was the underfloor heating part like is it just a talk on the subject or do you actually get to lay some then tile over it.

thanks

we didnt get to lay with the underfloor heating, howard just showed us some examples of it and talked us through how to lay it.

A

andye31

yeah i was confident of taking on most tiling jobs once id finished. Cus once you've got the setting out right, its just your speed that needs to improve. Tutor did say though, dont take anything too big or complicated on for the first few jobs, unless you got an experienced tiler you can do the job with. Im just doing a bathroom with an experienced tiler, marble mosiacs, he reckons once we've completed this job i should be ready for anything.

M

Mike

just because you've been thrown in the deep end and done a difficult/awkward job it doesn't mean you'll be ready for anything, every job is different and difficult on it's own merits. it's good to get confident but be careful not to get complacent. i've been tiling for 12 years now and i'm still learning and there's still jobs i'd refuse, i.e. if i'm not positive i can do a 100% job. as with every trade you need to walk before you can run.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

just because you've been thrown in the deep end and done a difficult/awkward job it doesn't mean you'll be ready for anything, every job is different and difficult on it's own merits. it's good to get confident but be careful not to get complacent. i've been tiling for 12 years now and i'm still learning and there's still jobs i'd refuse, i.e. if i'm not positive i can do a 100% job. as with every trade you need to walk before you can run.

Good advice from Mike Andye31, Don't want to rain on your parade, but I have over 43yrs experience in every aspect of this noble trade. All over the British Isles and abroad.

Served a five year apprenticeship, five year day release at college, ran my own business for over 30yrs, worked as foreman tiler on some massive industrial contracts, and I have to say that although I am not phased by anything the world of tiling can throw at me, I too am still learning. I don't think I will ever be ready for anything.

Tiling is, and will continue to be an evolving trade, keep up with the latest technology, keep logging on to TF and keep learning. Good luck:thumbsup:

A

andye31

thanks phil and mike, i didnt mean it literally when i said im ready for anything, sorry.

To put it better, cus the job im on is a difficult one i wouldnt be easily phased by another job in the future. I know all jobs are different and i know ill probably still be learning for my whole career. Im in with an experienced guy who's been tiling for around 10 years so im not gonna run before i can walk. My confidence is growing with everyday though.

Reply to Which tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi I live in Nottingham and looking for a tiling course around the area , it just seems...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Which tiling course
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.