Discuss which trowel for a shower room in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just double check every now and again that you're applying enough adhesive and are getting 100% coverage. If it's a power shower, it might be worth using an epoxy grout just in the shower area to prevent damage long-term to the grout. Power-showers push approx 10 times more water out than a standard shower, apparently.

Upvote 0
T

Traxman

It depends on the size of tile and the type of tile.

Mozaics you will get away using a 3mm trowel.
6mm trowel at 12mm centres gives 70% coverage with approx 150x150 mm tiles.
8mm trowel gives 100% coverage with approx 150x150 mm tiles.
A thin bed solid bed trowel (TOPPS sell it as a shower trowel) gives 100% coverage with up to 200x150 mm tiles.
A thick bed solid bed will give 100% coverage is for tiles approx 250mm squate.

You also need to consider if the back of the till has ridges as this will stop 100 % covearge and you may need to back butter.

You could try fixing a tile to some perspex or glass and examine the coverage from under the tile.

Karl Dahm also sell some new trowels called the midi and maxi.
The midi gives more coverage than the thin bed solid bed trowel.
The maxi gives more coverage than the thick bed solid bed trowel.

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to which trowel for a shower room in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB