Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Which wall to start on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jashton

Hi all,

I'm about to start tiling my bathroom. It's 2400 x 1500 and 2400 ceiling height. I'm planning to use 600x300 wall tiles and planning to use brick bond to help break up the linearity of it (but I'm open to persuasion that brick bond may not be the best approach).

The 1500 wall is ahead when you enter the room. It has the WC against it on one side and the end of the bath on the other. It has a window (800w x 1100h) in it that's not quite centered - the walls to the sides of the window are 350 (left) and 330 (right).
The 2400 wall is to the left and has the long edge of the bath against it and a sink unit.

So, question is do I start from a centre line on the small wall? If I do that should I start dead centre even though I will be left with slightly uneven tiles at either side due to the window being 20mm offset to the right, or will 20mm go un-noticed? I could start 10mm off-centre as well to minimise the offset.

I'll be looking at a pattern of 150-600-600-150. That starts the main wall with 450 so the main wall will run (R->L) 450-600-600-600-50, which I think will look dodgy.

If I start at the centre of the big wall I'll be looking at 560-600-600-560 and then 40-600-600-230 on the small wall. Again, not good.

If I ignore the brick bond option I could tile both walls by starting at each of their own centre lines. It will use a few more tiles but that's not a big deal - will that look odd where the walls meet though?

One other option is to find a magic tile length that makes both walls even but it means cutting every tile to a new length, something I'd rather not do.

Ta,
Jon

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hello,if your centring walls you can also find the centre point and place a tile half way over it,,,this still gives you a central start but may give you better cuts to the edges if you know what i mean.

i always centre the windows in walls,in regards to brick effect personally im not a massive fan of it in bathrooms as a lot of roooms are small and the amount of cuts leaves me feeling the overall finish isnt the best i prefer brick bond on a larger area:thumbsup: just my opinion tho

J

jashton

hello,if your centring walls you can also find the centre point and place a tile half way over it,,,this still gives you a central start but may give you better cuts to the edges if you know what i mean.

i always centre the windows in walls,in regards to brick effect personally im not a massive fan of it in bathrooms as a lot of roooms are small and the amount of cuts leaves me feeling the overall finish isnt the best i prefer brick bond on a larger area:thumbsup: just my opinion tho

ah, of course. If I centre the first tile on the window wall then it will be 430-600-430. That starts the big wall, where it meets the small wall, with a 170 and ends it with a 360.
Any reason why (assuming I ditch the brick bond idea) I shouldn't start the big wall with a 430 so that the tiles where the two walls meet will be the same size, then end with the 170 off-cut? Or should you always turn corners so you end up with a complete tile length, even if it's not symmetrical?

Reply to Which wall to start on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Hi, apologies if this has already been covered before but I couldn't find anything in the forum...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all. Finally started cuts on floor tiles today and few questions re cutter & tiles: Usina new...
Replies
Views
Jock McG
J
Hi.I'm a new member here and would appreciatte some advice on my case. I'm about to start...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Which wall to start on
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.