UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Whip clips or lash,lol in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

I've been tiling for over twenty years, and i'm not too bad at it, but i can't recommend lash clips enough.
If you've ever laid a polished porcelain floor in a room with lots of glass etc then you will get lots of reflections, any difference in the tiles will result in these reflections stepping out of line (does this make sense?0. If you use lash clips these really pull the tiles together and make the reflections perfect. Large format tiles also benefit from lash clips as they bolt the tiles in place, especially on walls.
Its not a cheap system and i don't believe it makes the job quicker as advertised as you have to remove all the clips after drying and then clean up the joints more than usual.
People can scoff and say DIY, but these do give the job that extra bit of help.
And the yellow wedges are really handy on other jobs too.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

if you are a realy good fixer you wont need these just an on going story of the shops squeezing every last penny out of the tilers on prouducts that are not needed sold by people who have not fixed a tile in there lives i have stood in more tile shops than i can recall while the staff give bad advice . if you use these i think you will start to lose your skill of the touch.these are probably good for new tilers and for the sales staff.

B

bugs183

I totally agree with your point Ray, but i am a good fixer, and i still think they have their place,but only on exceptional jobs.
Imagine using 1000x500mm rectified porcelain tiles on a ditra matted area surrounded on three sides by full length windows, this job is 180m2 and is a top notch job. The last thing you want to do is make a mess around pulling a tile up to get raise it a couple of mm. The tension of all that adhesive could take could pull the ditra, suction pads won't do it either, so i used lash clips, and the floor was perfect.
Now in that situation they fully justified themselves, on regular jobs they don't.
All i'm saying is don't knock 'um till you try 'um.

S

Spud

I used the raimondi lash clips on several jobs but mainly using large format thin porcelain they are a good product but wont make an uneven floor perfectly level and they do work out expensive, out of a bag of 250 clips expect 20-30 broken in the pack add to that you will lose another 10% over tightening,they slow the work up when you first start using them and you cant keep your work as clean
I do rate them but it will cost you £2 per m off your price to use them it will slow the job up slightly so it will cost you a bit there too
I think if you use them Joe you will like them but dont think a tiler as good as you needs them.

B

bugs183

The Raimondi sound a bit pants if your getting that rate of failure before you even start fixing, the lashclips really do take some breaking during the fixing process,but break off nicely.

The downsides are the costs obviously, but you do reuse the pegs, so once you have a bucket full those last for ages. I did look into buying them in bulk from the States (at about half of the cost of them from the UK), as i had another huge format porcelain job to do, but luckily that didn't happen, sometimes some jobs really aren't worth knackering your back over.
Also it it isn't quicker, and it can be messier, what with not being able to fully wash the adhesive off the tile. And if you have to stop and halfway on a job and tile again later you need to leave the next run of clips in otherwise you won't get them to squeeze under the tile.
So yea, they are a bit of a faff, and not for everyday use, but on the odd job a couple of times a year the are a real help.
Now the Raimondi Pedalo... now that is a good piece of kit.......

nybor62

TF
rotherham
The Raimondi sound a bit pants if your getting that rate of failure before you even start fixing, the lashclips really do take some breaking during the fixing process,but break off nicely.

The downsides are the costs obviously, but you do reuse the pegs, so once you have a bucket full those last for ages. I did look into buying them in bulk from the States (at about half of the cost of them from the UK), as i had another huge format porcelain job to do, but luckily that didn't happen, sometimes some jobs really aren't worth knackering your back over.
Also it it isn't quicker, and it can be messier, what with not being able to fully wash the adhesive off the tile. And if you have to stop and halfway on a job and tile again later you need to leave the next run of clips in otherwise you won't get them to squeeze under the tile.
So yea, they are a bit of a faff, and not for everyday use, but on the odd job a couple of times a year the are a real help.
Now the Raimondi Pedalo... now that is a good piece of kit.......

i have the pedalo great bit of kit esp for larger floors

C

charlie1

wonder if there was a similar argument when the spirit level was invented?? If it works and makes you more efficient and ecconomicaly viable then it will be here to stay although most old timers will stick to what they know. New guys will be more inclined to embrace the technology! The sad thing is, these type of things remove the 'craft' from craftsman further automating the tiling process but generally will prob improve the industry overall. So to recap, IMO its good and bad, not something I would use though, I like the skill in tiling!

C

charlie1

I think the clips would need a pretty flat floor to start with or you would have the obvious coverage issues, this would not be much of an issue in a domestic situation too depending on a few factors! Id like to see a polished porc floor done with these to see just how good they are. I love fitting polished porc, love trying to get all those shadows matching up, can be a right pain in the but and time consuming but strangly relaxing and theraputic doing it lol

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Too right Charlie, it's the skill we have that gains us our reputation.
Every trade evolves though, the lash clips would help a DIY'er to no end i'd say.
If a DIY'er uses these clips to lay a floor and it turns out top notch will they look as good if not better than us??? oh dear. lol.
We'll have machines laying tiles soon enough.

I think we'll leave that to the Germans :smilewinkgrin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Whip clips or lash,lol in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.