Discuss white grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

susbin

Hi there,

I'm tiling my bathroom (wetroom) at the moment and bought some Bal Micromax wall+floor grout in white, as all the specs sounded good. However... it's not drying white but more like a grey. Considering that all my tiles are white this is not good!

Have done some googling and found Ardex-Flex FS wall+floor grout which sounds like it will do the job (doesnt have microban like the bal but some dirt-resistant properties i understand), and it appears to be sold in brilliant white.

Does anyone have any experience of this grout - mainly does it actually dry white or will i be disappointed again?!

Many thanks for any advice.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Susbin,

There are dozens of whites when it comes to grout. Some ice-white, some white-white, some creamy-white. You generally need to see the sample board(s) in the shop to get a good feeling of what it looks like when it has set.

If it's an even colour but not quite what you expected it probably will just be showing up due to how white your tiles are and probably is the correct colour. But just in case check to see if it's patchy at all as that could suggest a dirty mixing bucket or the wet grout pulling some colour from the adhesive or something like that.

BAL Superflex is "brilliant white" which is a very sharp clean white. But I never used to like grouting with that stuff. So perhaps check that out too?

S

susbin

Hi Dan,

thanks yes i do have the Superflex in mind too, the only problem with that is it's only good for walls is that right?

i'd rather have the same grout across walls and floors if i can. (And yes i know the pitfalls of white grout on the floor and am still determined to give it a go...!!!) A man in Topps Tiles recommended a paint-on sealer which will hopefully keep it a bit cleaner for longer.

O

One Day

What issues are there Impish? New to me that is!

Is it colour-related or more batch related or something?

I heard they are reviewing the grouts after quite a few colour issues.
The idea behind the micromax range is great and for BAL, is long overdue.
Until they get the formulation right though - only the idea is great!
Surprising for BAL to have this problem really.

G

grumpygrouter

i did manage to get my money back at Topps by the way (when i returned the Micromax on the basis that it was not drying white...), which was good.

So I'm looking at PCI Aquafug or Ardex-Flex FS now then.

Grumpygrouter - in your experience does the Ardex dry a proper brilliant white?
Ardex F4 certainly does. I haven't used the FS version so can't comment on its brilliance - colour wise!

Reply to white grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
white grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.