Discuss Who foots the bill for incorrect use of product? User? Retailer? Factory? Tile Drill in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

Who foots the bill for tools when things go wrong and it is due to the customer not following manufactuer guidelines and instructions.

Recently (as a factory) a retailer returned a drill bit to us because the customer said it didnt work. here are the photographs....

47973_419044447013_617362013_4902493_4348670_n.jpg

This is the factory spec of how to load and use a diamond tile drill.
Put it in the chuck of a NORMAL battery drill. Dont press too hard. Use water. Drill slowly.

This is what was returned......

163005_477819377013_617362013_5900550_6171979_n.jpg

To give you a comparison you can see a NEW core above and the returned core...

168024_477819427013_617362013_5900552_3227829_n.jpg

In examining the returned core we note that it has been run so hot and so dry that the metal wall temperature has risen so high that the core has been allowed to glow red hot and melt the steel shaft so that is has peeled backwards.

Can anybody really imagine that as this guy was drilling a tile and he saw the diamond core bit glowing molten red that he thought "Hmm this is going well"

In fact we did investigate this one fully because by pure chance the complaing customer was just 8 miles away from us.

A short trip to the building site revealed the situation. On arrival at site we met a nice guy who had contractors in to complete a loft conversion. We asked to speak to the builder who used the core. And we were introduced to a huge non English speaking Polish builder. By way of translation the Polish builder told us (remember we are the factory!) That "It is not necessary to use water". And that "No drill bit needs water. This is not required. All drills can be used dry"

The English customer then told us that he was having quite a bit of difficulty relying instructions to this guy because his stock answer was always "In Poland - this is NOT the way". And then just getting on with how he thought things should be done.

Bottom line here is that we resupplied a fresh pack and gave an onsite demo of how to use a diamond core drill WITH water.

Most suprising thing? Even DRY and with molten metal pouring out the tile he still managed to get 6 holes per drill bit into very hard porcelain tiles.

46539_419382452013_617362013_4908619_93670_n.jpg

The universal message is that ALL TILE DRILLS NEED WATER

168311_477826087013_617362013_5900721_1251505_n.jpg

This is NOT how we expect to see our diamond core drill bits used !!

:lol:

46539_419382457013_617362013_4908620_753709_n.jpg

Even if you are drilling upside down.....

365drills_pack.jpg

£7.15 a drill @ £49.99 a pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1779

Re: Who foots the bill for incorrect use of product? User? Retailer? Factory? Tile D

The problem is that WE had to take the hit for the incompetance of an installer.

Our packs are plastered with instructions, warning, tips, hints and yet it all goes to pot when someone refuses to read or cant read them.

Even when we SHOWED the installer how to use them he just snorted. And the customer looked embarresed.

163676_477827937013_617362013_5900757_1384662_n.jpg

I know how to drill hole. Here? Yes?

M

mikethetile

Re: Who foots the bill for incorrect use of product? User? Retailer? Factory? Tile D

LOL

shouldnt laugh Richard but I had some polish kitchen fitters work under me and their stock answer was always........in Poland we do this way

telling them that in England we do this way so do as your told doesnt work LOL

it wasnt your fault and it was good of you to demonstrate the correct way and replace the bits, you didnt have too

very impressive getting six holes from a burnt out bit though and a testament to the quality of 365 drill bits

M

maniek

here you go polish instruction:
Prosze wiercic powoli zapewniajac chlodzenie woda podczas calego procesu wiercenia.

that could be a way forward, on the job I refer to the company had polish safety signs made up in order to comply with H&S
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Who foots the bill for incorrect use of product? User? Retailer? Factory? Tile Drill in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a bit of an issue. Had some tiles laid down, and the builder put Antinox Handy...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Who foots the bill for incorrect use of product? User? Retailer? Factory? Tile Drill
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.