Discuss Why did you / in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
for me it was a case of just wanting to learn a trade, i didn't just want a dead end job, when i left school, i went to the job centre and there was a job for a trainee tiler, i went for an interveiw and got the job...£30.00 a week was my first pay packet, hated the job at first as it was mainly labouring, but stuck at it and started to enjoy it once i started fixing..

so it was more luck than anything eles, if there would of been a job for a trainee florist, i could of been doing that now, and talking to someone on a florist forum...lol

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Migrated from plastering,(did tiling when serving my apprenticeship was part of job) still plaster, but i hate skimming boards, i adore suction when skimming and love roughing on, hate drylining, although much quicker than roughing.
Also my shoulder is a bit buggered, thought id give em a rest a d bugger my knees up as well.
Oh and its not as hard graft ;)

Last edited:
D

Diamond Pool Finishers

I suppose i should say mine :lol: i came from plastering as when i did my apprenticeship tiling was part of our trade , but then you soaked tiles in buckets of water then as well :yikes:, anyway i joined a swimming pool finishing company and trained to plaster pools with marblite , then learned to mosaic tile pools and stuff when not marbliting ,it was better money and pool wall's seemed smaller than rooms :thumbsup: anyway i loved it and never wanted to do anything else .

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

The school I went to had a choice of lessons in practical skills either metalwork and mechanics or woodwork and bricklaying, I chose the latter two, and seemed well suited to both, especially bricklaying I always came top in the exams, my teacher was ex building trade. He advised me to go into the building game, we had covered parts of sand and cement tiling as part of the course, and I found it more interesting than bricklaying. I started my 5yr apprenticeship at the age of fifteen, been doing it ever since.

area tiling

TF
Arms
n.ireland
I was a technician in a medical factory for ten years, I was always handy at most trades and done odd bits of tiling here and there! Bought my own house and tiled it slowly, then had an idea one day that I wouldn't mind doing this for a living! Our factory started to struggle a bit and offered voluntary redundancies so I took it, done a tiling course for a year then , got an apprentice job for 9 months , and bish bash bosh am still tiling away , and love it 80% of the time!

I was an apprentice miner working down the pits when I first left school the pit closed in 69 and my brother was working for a tiling company as a tilers mate and they needed someone for a couple of weeks to fill in as some tilers were on holiday after the couple of weeks they asked if I wanted an apprenticeship so that temporary job ended up for 43 years

J

Jeff the tiler

Father always said if you have a trade you will always get work. Half right! Spent 6 years with him learning before being let out on my own. Dipped in and out of the industry over the last 30 years but it has always been something i have come back to. Now tiling a true trade again it a pleasure and being able to commit to it as a single trade again. Everyday a new challenge and there are not many jobs where you can say that.

M

MTiler

I was made redundant and had to retrain. Ive always worked with my hands and been more practical minded. Couldnt afford years of training so dare I say it I did a 4 week full time tiling course! Tiling appealed, as I have a design background. After a while I did the basic Bisazza course and about a year later I did their advanced course in Italy. The mosaic side of things has slowly taken off and its what I prefer doing.
I had no experience of the building trade so its been a massive learning curve.

missyT

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Why did you / in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB