Discuss Why not to use tubbed adhesives and no tanking! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Just thought I would share with you a pic I took this morning. Was asked if I would just re-grout the bottom course of tiles in a problem shower area. Had previously told customer that I thought problems were deeper than he anticipated.

Having removed what was left of the grout on first tile, the second tile came away too revealing this - - -

grumpygrouter-albums-walls-picture4853t-17062009059.jpg

Oh! and the tiles are porcelain by the way!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Great photo! - What it also reveals is the room was not set out correctly to leave such a small cut in one of the most important areas of a bathroom.:thumbsdown:
The larger the cut to bath and shower tray the better the seal.:thumbsup:

John.
You should see the rest of it!!!!
In defence of the previous tiler, and only slightly mind you, he would have had to cut the tiles to tray as the tiles had wavey edges!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

are you redoing the lot then Russ? :drool5:
I don't know yet Bri, I would like to think so. The shower tray installation is being re-done by the original installers as that is crap as well, all the composite slabs on top of the Impey deck are moving and letting water through. The property owner is supposed to be offering me some work in a care home refurb in august so I will see how it goes.:drool5:

P

psychowitch

Just got a similar prob to deal with myself this week...walk in shower where there is around a 60cm shelf from the end of the shower tray to the wall .. they put in an untreated peice of pretty solid timber and just basically tiled onto it upto the end of the shower tray..then put in a piece of tile trim and grouted to cover the cut edges..remember this is IN the shower cubicle so will get soaked.. woman said that the grout around the area started cracking almost at once..Ive taken the tiles up and removed the tiles around the shower tray (yup fixed tiles to the side of the shower tray so you dont get access)..underneath the whole shower frame they built of wood is soaking..AND they didnt stick the legs on the tray either so Im wondering if there is movement...

anyway im leaving it to dry out as it only seems like surface water on the wood..problem is Im wondering how to properly seal up the sshelf with new tiles so it doesnt happen again..

Reply to Why not to use tubbed adhesives and no tanking! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Why not to use tubbed adhesives and no tanking!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.