UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wickes Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mazda

After my recent successful kitchen floor job measuring addy using kitchen scales my daughter has asked me to tile her kitchen, she has bought Wickes black porcelain 300 tiles as they are on offer, I think they are manufactured in Turkey,what is worrying is there is no mention of having to seal them on the packaging and she said the lady in Wickes told her they didn't need sealing, I must admit they look ok to me as a DIY'r but is there anything I should be aware of apart from another relation asking me to tile a floor for them..............

D

DHTiling

if they're porcelain would they not already be vitrified due to the silica content in the kaolin, metamorphis taking place during firing. ( I remember this from when I did my pottery A level ,28 years ago!!):grin:

even though they are vitrified..( glass like) this isn't what makes them stain....it is the open pores in the surface of the tile that grabs the stains....
Porcelain tiles have a very low absorption rate so liquids tend to not soak in like other tiles do.."naturals"..

A through bodied porcelain tile is the type that will need a porcelain impregnator and not a porcelain glazed bodied tile...

hope this helps...

M

mazda

Ok you've lost me now, remember I measure addy with kitchen scales and a measuring jug for the water............

I have emailed Wickes technical support who promptly gave me the supplier Intervo's telephone number so I will ring them in the week, but there is nothing on the tiles packaging to suggest they require sealing only a warning about certain coloured grouts may cause staining.

Thanks for all your help.

C

CTD inverness

hi mazda, polished porcelain should always be sealed(unless it is fully vitrified which i doubt wickes is) as it is the polishing that opens the pores in the tile, they do quite often have a wax surface which can be removed with a light acid based grout remover(always try on a spare piece first incase of re-action) hg limex is a good one, you can get procelain pacific sealers check locally to see whats available (fila is not bad) and seal before grouting incase of surface staining. hope this helps

Ok you've lost me now, remember I measure addy with kitchen scales and a measuring jug for the water............

I have emailed Wickes technical support who promptly gave me the supplier Intervo's telephone number so I will ring them in the week, but there is nothing on the tiles packaging to suggest they require sealing only a warning about certain coloured grouts may cause staining.

Thanks for all your help.

D

Deleted member 1779

The thing with porcelain is that they are 30% harder than granite and solid from front to back. C5 is the hardest grade you can get. Ceramic tiles have a biscuit base with a glaze finish. Break the glaze and you expose the biscuit. Thats why if ceramics chip they look ugly. Porcelain tiles can be made much bigger than ceramics and for a look at what can be achieved this site is very elegant Examples of Porcelain tiles in use

A lot of the sheds are introducing porcelain ranges (B&Q - Wickes etc) and places like Topps Tiles have about 25% dedicated to porcelain.

Wikipedia definition (Full article available here...)

Porcelain is a ceramic material made by heating raw materials, generally including clay in the form of kaolin, in a kiln to temperatures between 1,200 °C (2,192 °F) and 1,400 °C (2,552 °F). The toughness, strength, and translucence of porcelain arise mainly from the formation of glass and the mineral mullite within the fired body at these high temperatures.

And as we always say at the end of these posts... Dont forget your drill bits!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mazda

I have spoken to Intervo today who import the tile from China, apparently Wickes pay a premium to have the tiles sealed at manufacture, when I said that I had heard porcelain tiles nearly always need sealing he then said it would do no harm to re-seal them after they had been layed which sounded a bit like he was edging his bets, so I think the best option would be to seal them, given the bit about coloured grouts may stain statement as well.

Do I lay them and wipe over them with a sealer prior to grouting I presume its a liquid.

Thanks everyone once again for your help

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wickes Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just after a bit of advice please. I had my kitchen floor tiled last week (porcelain...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.