UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Will this work and do I need a decoupling membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilerjon

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere already and my apologies for asking this. I am, what I'd like to describe as, a competent DIYer and am now intending to create a wetroom in an existing first floor bathroom. It's a relatively small room, say about 2.5m x 2.5m. I want the smallest possible step in (or details as to how to deal with a larger step!) and was proposing the following.
Marmox showerstone former (22mm high)
Remove existing floorboards and replace with 18mm ply then 4mm Marmox TBB (which will bring me up to the 22mm of the shower former and give me a layer of insulation, albeit thin) with waterproof tape on all joins.
Then I'm stuck!
But ultimately, 10mm thick limestone mosaic floor tiles. Marmox says showerstone can take mosaics and this avoids having to put what I find to be ugly cuts in larger tiles.
So what about that "stuck" section. Do I need a decoupler such as Schluter DITRA Matting or can I tile straight onto the TBBs. And what if I wanted to add UFH would the order be Marmox TBB, UFH, decoupling membrane, tiles. Again, do I even need the Schluter.
Thanks for any help and again, apologies if the answer is on the site somewhere.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You tile straight to the backer boards.

I wouldn't have thought the ditra would be required with that sort of setup.

And if you had UFH it would be backer boards, ufh, self levelling compound, adhesive, tile. If you had ditra in that, it would be backer boards, ufh, slc, adhesive, ditra, adhesive, tile. So creating another few mm of height so as you've used new boarding to replace the floor boards, and used tile backer boards too, I'd imagine you'd be fine without ditra.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Will this work and do I need a decoupling membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.