UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Working method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martino

Whats your usual working method in a bathroom...lets say a normal sized 2m x 2m bathroom with one door and a window, a bath or shower tray, toilet and sink....

My normal tiling method would be to if possible start with a full tile on the shower base working around to the window wall. focus on tiling 2 walls going around the room. ideally try to finish the window wall leaving the reveal until the next day. always complete the 4 walls leaving the top row off...then once all id done finish off by tiling my window reveals and then cuts to coving/ceiling...

Whats your favourite method on a bathroom of this scenario? (only tiled walls not floor)....

P

prceramics

1st i would centre the wall behind the bath draw a plumb line and decide if to come off the line or centre a tile on the line to the ressess and mark on the wall witch i decide leaves the best cut, then i will offer the tiles from the bath to the celling to see how the cut looks at the top if that all looks ok will draw a level line all around the room to see how the cuts will look on the top and bottom of the window and move the line to acomadate any small slithers. When i am happy that all cuts will be ok i would tile each wall seperatly usaly starting above the bath and i would centre the window as i did the bath wall

I normally grab a tile c if it will go off the top of the bath without leaving slithers anywhere if it doesn't i move it so i don't end up with slithers check all round many times, stand back and look at hundreds of pencil lines and marks ive made forget whats what. Coffee time then do it all again and draw line for bottom row of tiles round room. Always try center window if possible, usually go with what looks wright i kinda know in my head think it just comes with time.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I set out the tiles and spacers on a staff, create a datum line, set out the all the cuts using the staff, around bath, window, door etc. Then I tile leaving the window reveal until last. Sometimes this may take a couple of hours dependant upon tile size, borders, any boxing-in etc. but it is this preparation that ultimately gives you the final professional finish.

Last edited:
M

Martino

Prime, recheck all walls for flatness using 1.8 level, dust sheet up, Work out my cuts, establish where my bottom row will be, batten up, radio 2 on, have a coffee, knock up enough adhesive to do 1 row of tiles right around the room and tile adjusting with laser, level and wedges, then tile the rest!

So you actually dd your first row around the whole bathroom?...do you find this helps to keep all the grout lines looking good?...i have thought about this but never done it..just usually complete a wall at a time except the top row which i leave until last, save's messing with the steps 4 times...can just do the full room in 1 go.

P

prceramics

I used to look through the door that was normally the window where it starts what you can see first IMO then you try to get a full tile on everything no cuts but sadly it doesn't work out like that very often

agreed mate there is always a compromise i just try and make it where it wont notice the most, and always explain to the customer why before tiling the reasons :)

M

Martino

I also prefer to centre the window or centre the sink, if it works good for both i mostly prefer to centre a grout line in the middle of the sink...or ask the customer what they prefer!...some strange requests ive had from customers are....randomnly put a totally different row of tiles on 1 wall...then i explain about the grout lines as they match up going around...they soon realise lol!

C

charlie1

So you actually dd your first row around the whole bathroom?...do you find this helps to keep all the grout lines looking good?...i have thought about this but never done it..just usually complete a wall at a time except the top row which i leave until last, save's messing with the steps 4 times...can just do the full room in 1 go.
Sometimes do 1 wall at a time, just depends on different factors. Nothing to do with improving grout lines though, they should be as good as they can be no matter what. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Working method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.